Ipod Video connection to TV

Geeg

Registered
Help! I've got a few movies on my new 80gb video ipod. The picture is crystal clear on my ipod but I can't seem to view them on my TV. I bought a AV cable and the picture and sound comes through too fuzzy. Do I have to purchase the ipod dock (expensive!) to watch movies on TV or is there something I'm missing!
I've even tried mixing the cables around like some websites have advised and that doesn't work at all, because the tv won't even acknowledge the ipod if the cables are in the right ports.

Cheers Geeg

If you're using a standard AV cable, the cables have to be switched around for it to work. Also, make sure your videos are encoded at the "new" quality for videos in itunes:
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec.

I'll look into what quality I'm converting my DVD's into. I'm using Videora converter. This may sound like a really dumb question but what do you mean by switching the cables? Because I've tried mixing the colours around (based on an article I saw on the web) but the tv wouldn't recognise my ipod (eventhough I'd set it to TV OUT).

Cheers
Geeg

Yeah, I originally tried that website and came up with nothing. I tried again just before but the TV doesn't recognise the ipod if I switch the cables around. Very annoying. It is because I'm using the 5th Gen ipod? Or is it the TV? I've tried it on several tv's and I still get the fuzzy, crap picture.
But thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep trying them! If anyone's got any more??!! I'll try anything!

No matter what you do, you're still using a low-quality connection, so you'll get some fuzz. The dock has an s-video out, I believe, which is higher quality. You may be able to get one for less on eBay, they've been out for awhile.

What kind of TV, also? If it's a high-res flat-panel display (LCD or Plasma), that could be the culprit (due to the upsampling of the low resolution video files).

If it's a regular tube TV, I'd be willing to bet the picture would look a little better than on a flat panel TV.

Hi. I tried using Handbrake the other day but it didn't finish the movie. The movie was cut short by about 1/2 hour. Does the Instant version work better than this? I actually went and bought a cheaper dock with s-video cable (thanks ebay). Now the picture is good but the sound quality is really fuzzy. I've used the ipod volume and it's not loud enough or too fuzzy. Could the av-cables be the problem?

Back