iPod_Control folder

Esquilinho

Registered
I found out that on one of the network shares that we use in my company there's a 2GB iPod_control folder. Obviously, I'm not happy with that, because it's taking up precious space (not to mention the rights of the songs...).

Now, before I send an offensive mail to people demanding them to remove the folder, there's something I'd like to know: is there a way that the folder could have been moved unintentionally/accidently from the person's iPod onto the network? Maybe some kind of weird synchro or whatever....?
Or is that impossible and it must have been done with intention?

The folder would only have been created on the machine if the user has iTunes installed, and has it synced to their iPod. The folder is created automatically by iTunes.

Ah, I thought that was the hidden folder on the iPod that contains all the music files...
Where does iTunes create that folder normally? Can the user select a different location for it? I find it strange that iTunes would just put that on the network without asking...

Hehe... iTunes doesn't know about you, so how can it ask you? More than likely, one of your users set iTunes' preferences to point to the server share.

I've never seen an "iPod_Control" folder created by iTunes, though -- could it be that someone at work used an iPod-to-iTunes copier program (like senuti) to copy the music from their iPod onto the server at work so they could listen to the music it at work without their iPod?

I've never seen an "iPod_Control" folder created by iTunes, though -- could it be that someone at work used an iPod-to-iTunes copier program (like senuti) to copy the music from their iPod onto the server at work so they could listen to the music it at work without their iPod?

That was my first suspicion... And of the other co-workers don't even see the folder, because they're on Windows, and it's a windows invisible folder ;)

I think I'll just send a not too offensive mail and ask the owner to remove it. :D

Back