iPod's disk mode

Hundo

Registered
I'm starting to transfer large files between computers here at school, and I currently use a 256 mb usb drive, but now i'm running out of storage because of these larger files I need to carry. Before I go out an buy a bigger usb drive, I wanted to know if the iPod's disk mode would work on a PC that doesn't have itunes on it.

Yes, it will appear as any other external hard drive. You must format the iPod in FAT32 format, though, to use it with a Windows PC. I don't think you can format the iPod as FAT32 on a Macintosh, though, so you may need a Windows PC with the iPod Software on it (downloadable from Apple for free) to initially set it up.

Well I have an old 15 gig 3G ipod, and I've been debating back and forth about getting one of the new ones. That way I don't waste the money just to get a usb cable and then may have to replace my ipod soon anyway. Since I entered college I can now get a small discount from the apple store so if I decide that I really want one all I have to pick is black or white.

If you're transferring files from your school's computers, make sure they allow you to connect your iPod to the computer. Some school's disable things like that.. but if they allowed your USB flash drive to work, I'm sure they'd allow a removable hard drive.

Back