IR Printing in Mac OS X

Yesurbius

Registered
How do you do IR Printing in Mac OS X?

We got an old HP LaserJet 2100 Series that does only has a Centronics interface. We'd like to print from the MacBook Pro using IR. How is this done? Printer Setup Utility does not list IR Printing as an option.

Thanks

Seems like you need to turn on IR reception in the "Security" pane of the System Preferences...

But, if the printer only has a Centronics interface, how do you plan to do IR printing to it?

By putting the MacBook in front of the IR receiver on the printer, and printing via the IR port. That's how you IR print. Unless I don't understand your question.

Yesurbius said:
How do you do IR Printing in Mac OS X?

We got an old HP LaserJet 2100 Series that does only has a Centronics interface. We'd like to print from the MacBook Pro using IR. How is this done? Printer Setup Utility does not list IR Printing as an option.

Thanks
You need to get a print server with a parallel (Centronics) port. Connect the printer to the print server via the parallel port. You should be able to communicate with the printer via Ethernet through the print server. Alternatively, you can get an internal print server with Ethernet and dispense with the parallel printer cable.

Yesurbius said:
By putting the MacBook in front of the IR receiver on the printer, and printing via the IR port. That's how you IR print. Unless I don't understand your question.
Ah, you didn't mention that the printer has an IR port in addition to the Centronics port -- only that the printer "only has a Centronics port"... my mistake!

If I knew what IR printing was, then it stands to reason I'd understand the mechanics of IR Printing. I am sorry however because I made the mistake of posting with the assumption that people wouldn't think I'm an idiot.

MisterMe said:
Connect the printer to the print server via the parallel port.

A better solution to this would be to get a USB Capable EIO card from ebay for $12, install it in the printer, and connect it to the Macbook Pro via USB. You could probably even do a Centronics to Bluetooth adapter.

This is all rather fascinating but it still does not answer my question: How do you do IR printing in Mac OS X?

Back