Irritated at iTunes3 Installer

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Nothing irritates me more than having to restart after installing an application. Especially when its something simple like an MP3 Player [iTunes3].

Grrrrrr..........

If I understand correctly they can't update iTunes when iPod is connected. Instead of trying to get everyone to disconnect their iPods they make everybody reboot.

Well, if so, that's just silly- Do they think we're too stupid to heed a warning that says "Please disconnect your iPod, then click OK"?

I'm assuming that the reason for a forced restart when installing iTunes 3 is because it puts a new "iTunesHelper" in your login items, and thereby requires a restart...

If you installed it exactly like it explains in the readme, you would throw away your iTunes 2 application -- and if you're like me, empty the trash immediately. I got a warning message telling me that "iTunesHelper" was still in use, which I expected. Restarting solved that problem as well as activated the new "iTunesHelper."

none of those reasons are good enough to warrant a restart. One of the only things that I would accept as an excuse would be new cdr driver.

A restart takes, what? A minute or two? Go make some coffee or something and stop worrying about your uptime.

what a useless reply that was.

When you have 15 applications and 30 documents open AND your G4 also serves as a webserver / fileserver its about more than uptime.

its about having to close all of your work, disconnect a bunch of users and have your webpage go down, then reopen everything that you were doing.

Huh, when I installed the new iTunes, I just hit the close button on the restart dialog, rather than the Restart button itself, and everything kept running. iTunes works fine, too. That's rather weird. Of course, you can do some really hellish things to UNIX before it starts getting screwy on you.

I didnt realize that the close button was active on the installer window...
I considered fore quitting the installer, but in the past when I've done that, my system starts to run really really slow a few hours later. Not sure what was up with that, so I just bit the bullet and restarted.

At least this iTunes installer didnt format the hard drive :rolleyes:

Not to knock your setup, but if you are using your machine that people are so dependent on, is it a good idea to be using iTunes to suck up nth cycles of your CPU and memory?

Just a thought... however, it is a pain to reboot just for an install like that.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
what a useless reply that was.

When you have 15 applications and 30 documents open AND your G4 also serves as a webserver / fileserver its about more than uptime.

its about having to close all of your work, disconnect a bunch of users and have your webpage go down, then reopen everything that you were doing.

Whatever the reasons, it *should* be possible for Apple to make the installer restart-independent. They could even make the installer close the iPod connection for the time of installation. Quitting the iTunes helper should be possible, too, for the installer, shouldn't it? It's not as if iTunes was an integral part of the operating system or anything.

And I also don't like restarting my machine. It's not a machine other people need to have access to, but closing Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, GoLive, Photoshop and Fetch, BBEdit, TextEdit, Proteus, Mail, IE, OmniWeb, iTunes, Limewire and Extensis Suitcase along with saving (or not) fifteen opened documents not only takes a while but also needs my full attention, so I don't accidentally trash some of my work. Right now I have the Software Update Installer that installed the new CD-R drivers open in the background. It's waiting for my click on 'restart', but it'll _have_ to wait a few more days, I guess, as I don't intend to stop everything I'm doing. But here I at least understand that it's a part of the OS that has been replaced. Although, I've just burned a CD in iTunes fine, without it saying something like 'driver not found' or anything like that. So, basically, I guess the Mac is a fine machine, eh?

Back