Is all racks compatible with Xserver?

webexplorer

Registered
How will I know that Apple Xservers compatible with any of the racks? i.e. Dell, HP, etc... (I do not have a Xserver yet.)

I want to buy a used rack for much cheaper than a new one which cost a crazy $1,000.

They are the standard 1U (maybe 2 but they look like 1Us) rack size. One question is that if you are balking at the cost of a rack you probably are not buying many xservs. They don't need to be in a rack to work, I used to run a half dozed HPs on a baker's rack, cause it was there. So I guess the question is do you even need a rack?

Yep, they're standard 1U rack-mount computers. Any standards-based rack should work -- just check to make sure they can accept a 1U unit, and you should be good-to-go.

That is great to hear about the racks.

lurk - For the first time, I would buy a used rack for now. I was told that many small businesses failed within three years.

I heard that an Apple Xserver makes a loud noise. Is that correct?

Do I need a network switch hardware if I plan to purchase some Xservers? I do not see one on Apple's website about the network switch. (http://www.apple.com/xserve/)

Actually, I am frustrated to find a right database. Adobe sells ColdFusion MX 7. There are two different databases: Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition. Which one that will runs on Apple Xserver?

Does OS X Server comes with a program for "email service"?

webexplorer said:
That is great to hear about the racks.

lurk - For the first time, I would buy a used rack for now. I was told that many small businesses failed within three years.

I heard that an Apple Xserver makes a loud noise. Is that correct?

Do I need a network switch hardware if I plan to purchase some Xservers? I do not see one on Apple's website about the network switch. (http://www.apple.com/xserve/)

Actually, I am frustrated to find a right database. Adobe sells ColdFusion MX 7. There are two different databases: Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition. Which one that will runs on Apple Xserver?

Does OS X Server comes with a program for "email service"?

from time to tim e it makes, but i have had 1 for some months in a living room and it was not irritating in general. Also most rack stuff is not supersilent as racks are set in a remote spot, so that is in genral not such a problem.

you need a switch as the base of your network and it is required to link computers (and other devices like printerservers, routers etc.) to one network. If you want a high speed network, take a gigabit switch, more economic is 10/100mbit switch. Also count the number of ports you require (one for each device) and buy one with some spare, as in general more devices will pop up which need integration in your network.

BTW - does anyone has information on how to setup a xserve rack model for putting it in the rack. We lost the documentation and could not find out how to setup it up in my rack.

Good luck, Kees

Btw.: It's an "Xserve". While it _is_ a server, the name doesn't have the second "r". ;) The documentation _should_ be available on Apple's support pages, Kees, IIRC.

Back