Is Apple overcharging non US customers?

"Each iTunes store is relevant to the country within which it resides, i.e. content availability and pricing is based on agreements with the relevant content owners in each country," the Apple spokeswoman said.

Zinn acknowledged that sometimes there were different licensing agreements for different countries but said he believed the disparity in pricing was "much more to do with market power". Apple earns a 30 per cent cut from sales on its iTunes store.

Even when presented with evidence that the record labels, not Apple, are behind the disparity in pricing, this Zinn fellow refused to see what's plainly in front of him and still is being bull-headed and stubborn about placing the blame squarely with Apple.

While I'm not excusing Apple from any wrongdoing, saying that this is simply a money-grab by Apple screwing an entire country with inflated prices is going off the deep end.

Hell, even book prices are inflated -- a book that costs $25 in the USA is near $40 in Australia. Damn near all USA-based goods are more expensive in Australia. It's a problem with differing countries, not with Apple specifically, and I highly suspect that the pricing model in Australia is more politically- and economically-motivated by the content-holders (as stated in the article linked) rather than Apple solely.

Back