Is boot camp a free ware ?

nicken

Registered
Hi ,

I am thinking of installing bootcamp into my MBP. recently i have alot of trouble dealing with my parallels and snow leopard.have been doing migration up and down , upgrading and downgrading of my OS inorder to restore back to my previous state in leopard. however i still fail.

my work requires to run on win xp. therefore now i'm thinking of doing a clean setup on my new MBP.

-i like to heard some advice on which Vm or boot camp to use ?
-shall i buy a new parallels 3.0 and a win xp to install in new MBP ?
-shall i listen to my friend to try use VM ware fusion 2 ?
-Shall i use bootcamp ?

Thank you
Regards
ken

Last edited:
Or Fusion 3 - join the beta.
Is there something that you'd use that can't be properly virtualized and would actually require a native boot of Windows? Do you need Boot Camp? Only you will know - what will you use that Windows for an so on.
If you occasionally need a native boot version you can still use that in a virtual machine - Fusion (and I assume Parallels) definitely support that.

if i install win xp in boot camp on my imac , after i migrate imac to another new MBP , can the boot camp still run the windows xp with the same settings and documents in my imac ?

or do i need to buy another window licence for the MBP ?

my imac running on snow leopard and my MBP running leopard ( recently just downgraded)

Thanks

Windows licenses permit you to use one install CD to install on one computer. If you want to install Windows XP on another computer, that would require you to purchase another license.

You can "migrate" from one machine to the other -- simply install Windows XP on the new computer using your existing Windows XP install disks, then remove it from the old computer.

Windows licenses permit you to use one install CD to install on one computer. If you want to install Windows XP on another computer, that would require you to purchase another license.

You can "migrate" from one machine to the other -- simply install Windows XP on the new computer using your existing Windows XP install disks, then remove it from the old computer.

i see, as long as i don't run two same cd key win xp on 2 different machine will do right?

If it's the full retail version, then the transfer should be possible. However, OEM versions require a Certificate of Authority sticker for be legally licensed and once used are non-transferable. Just some extra info there just in case. ;)

Back