Is Diskwarrior still the best for optimizing?

AkulaIX

Registered
I haven't had to optimize MacOS X for a while and now that Jaguar is here should I still be using Diskwarrior or move to something like Drive 10?

An 'Apple Genius' told me a while back that Drive 10 sucked compared to Diskwarrior.

Howdy - I have DiskWarrior, Techtool Pro and Plus Optimizer. For optimizing your drive space, I think only Techtool and PlusOptimizer provide this. I use PlusOptimizer after booting on a classic partition - I did have to assign it way more memory than the recommended, but it seems to work great. I don't know if Disk 10 has drive optimizing, but I seem to recall the first version did not.

I optimize once a month or so, but less religiously lately. Also, if you want to see some real performance improvements try prebinding (someone help explain this please). Open a terminal and type:

sudo update_prebinding -root /

then your password, let it run (takes about 5 - 10 minutes) and you should notice a snappier system!

Just use a simple command line in Terminal. Just type this :

sudo update_prebinding -root /__

well, i defintly give diskwarrior/plus optimizer my vote but i haven't tried the newest version of drive 10 that defrags. so i too am wondering what anybody who has tried them both has to say.

also, i know that alsoft is working on an os x versions of diskwarrior and plus optimizer. when they will be released is anyone's guess.

"dfrag" that was the word I was looking for - my brain needs to be defragged. Right - DW does not defrag, PO does.

Foe all I know, DiskWarrior does no optimization, but rather rebuilds the disk catalog. And when it comes to PlusOptimizer and TechTool Pro, they know no s**t about optimization, the only app that can do this properly is Norton Speed Disk. PlusOptimizer and TTP do defragment data but not files -> they place all data neatly in one chunk, but still the files are fragmented as hell, one bit here other there and so on...
Here's how I do: at regular intervals I boot in OS 9 which is located on other partition, defragment using Speed Disk (using profile specifically made for OS X) and then run DiskWarrior

Also, steer clear from Norton Utilities for OS X, several of my friends have had their disks screwed, experienced several Kernel Panics all because Norton. It's safe from OS 9 only. Also Norton Utilities 6.0.3 has bug in memory handling, stay at 6.0.2.

Drive 10 v10.1.1 has optimization under OS X.

I used it once and it munched my hard drive.

I don't think I'll use it again.

Mod

PlusOptimizer and TTP do defragment data but not files -> they place all data neatly in one chunk, but still the files are fragmented as hell, one bit here other there and so on...

Really - I did not know this - and it still takes an hour or so for a 20 GB drive!

Originally posted by DMCrimson
[snip]
Here's how I do: at regular intervals I boot in OS 9 which is located on other partition, defragment using Speed Disk (using profile specifically made for OS X) and then run DiskWarrior
That's what i was doing at the weekend and pondering... what would a "profile specifically made for OS X" look like?
Any clues? (or preferably a link to download one :D)

Also, steer clear from Norton Utilities for OS X, several of my friends have had their disks screwed, experienced several Kernel Panics all because Norton. It's safe from OS 9 only. Also Norton Utilities 6.0.3 has bug in memory handling, stay at 6.0.2.
Hmmm - i'm on 6.0.3 (and 10.1.5/9.2.2) and it does fall over occasionally but doesn't seem to kill my drive (so far!) - i was hoping it would have an OS X profile built in!

Hi.

DiskWarrior does NOT optiomize your disk.
It only optimizes your directories.
If you want to optimize your drive you need either TechTool Pro or Norton Utilities' SpeedDisk.
The latter is broken under Jaguar and the former only runs under OS 9.x.x and NOT under classic mode.

:mad:

To whomever said that TTP and PlusOptiizer don't defrag. files is incorrect. Actually, totally incorrect. Both products, and yes SpeedDisk too, defrag. files and free space.
There are two types of fragmentation on a disk. This happens on any disk, on any platform, running any OS. The first type is file fragmentation. This is when a file gets written to a disk in more than one area of the disk. Thus, when you, or an application, request a file, the read heads of the drive have to work that much more to find the file. More work ~ more time.
Free space fragmentation is where the free space on your disk is spread over more than one contiguous area of your disk. More often than not, free space fragmentation is spread over many, many areas of the disk. Although not as critical as file fragmentation it can eventually lead to file fragmenation if the free space fragments become too many and too small.
TechTool Pro and Disk Optimizer both defrag.
file fragmentation and free space fragmentation. There is no difference between data and file fragmentation. Data and files are the same thing to the OS as far as storage is concerned. To claim the contrary is utter crap.

Regards.
Richard Brock
Systems Engineer

rgbrock1, do a little test, obtain a copy of norton and TTP or Plusoptimizer from somewhere, and runt TTP/Plusoptimizer first, then run Speed Disk and check the disk, mine reported severe fragmentation on disk which was just minutes ago "defragmented" by TTP... no, I'm not quoting this from anywhere, but experienced this myself before going X, and I refuse to install Systemworks2 nor any other Norton product on OS X.

SpeedDisk profile for X optimization Use that in OS 9

DMCrimson - If that's the case then TTP is either not properly defragging free space or files or Norton Utilities is lying or misrepresenting the fragmentation levels of the disk. TTP is supposed to defragment both, ala the developers who wrote the app. If Norton's SpeedDisk is reporting something differently then I don't know what to say. One or the other, or both, is not doing something right.

I have always used Speed Disk to defragment my hard drives. It seems to do the job correctly. I have used TTP's Optimization feature once or twice before and that seemed to have worked correctly too. Ditto PlusOptimizer. All three are supposed to defragment the drive thoroughly i.e., both free space and files. If not, then stick with the one that does.

An interesting test would be to run Speed Disk and afterwards run TTP and see what that shows for disk fragmentation levels.

lol! :p

i always love it when someone uses norton's ability to 'find' problems as the reason it is so much better. Run norton utilities a second time and it will tell you half the things it just fixed are still there. i have no reason to believe that just because speed disk finds fragmentation after another optimization file has been run, that there is any proof that the first one didn't do it's job. that is just horible reasoning if you have used all these products and compared them over time as i have.

norton would have you believe that your kitchen sink is on fire and only their app can put it out. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm not partial to any of mentioned utilities, the only thing I'm now sure is that I wont use norton in OS X...even though the culprit causing panics and so on has been named:) I'll stick with DW to heal the directory:)

Ed, you have a point in there, I remember how hard it was for Symantec to revise norton utils to deal with HFS+ correctly...

An interesting test would be to run Speed Disk and afterwards run TTP and see what that shows for disk fragmentation levels.

Hehe, indeed...hmm...will have to see to this one day:) A really good one, rgbrock, really good one indeed.

Ed Spruiell,

I couldn't agree more. I basically refrained from calling Norton Utilities a piece of crap but it does leave a lot to be desired at times.
Example: I often run Disk Utility in Jaguar to check on various drives. More often than not it reports no problems at all. Lo and behold though, running Norton Utilities Disk Doctor immediately afterwards ALWAYS reports problems regardless of what Disk Utility says. Well, in my mind if a utility that Apple provides reports no problems then I'll assume that there are indeed no problems. I couldn't care less what NUM says!

Now that it's broken under Jaguar I kind of hope it stays broken!!!!

Thanks for your input here.

Hum, so true...either it's bad creation or modification date or bundle-bit wrongly set...If I boot in OS 9 and run said disc doctor, it tells me there are literally thousands of these errors...and besides, those errors are what
fsck/DiskUtility is for:)

Now isn't this fun. What a shouting match.

I have been using Norton for years and with the exception of version 4.5 which broke things not needing to be fixed and visa-versa It has been reliable. But for sure you need more than one arrow in your quiver. I use DiskWarrior/OptimizerPlus and TTP also. I can not really say that one optimizes better than the other for I really have no way of examining the files outside of using these three utilities. It is sort of a faith situation.

All three of these do something better than the other though my over all favorite is DiskWarrior.It is the first to be run in a pinch.

As for the optimizing I have used all three with equally good results. But I think I would have to prefer Nortons for these reasons.

1. It takes DO and TTP about 4 hrs to do the work were Norton does it in about 45 minutes.
2. Norton has several optimizing scemes that can be very useful.

All three state that it is recommended that you make a backup before running them. I have even seen DiskWarrior mess up. That was an ugly story I don't like to recall.

there is no doubt that speed disk is the fastest. and also the riskiest. in the event of a power outage or accidently pulling the plug from the outlet, etc, spped disk is likely to take your drive and all your data down with it. with Plus Optimizer and TTP, you are safe. i prefer to stick with safety.

and since i always defrag while i sleep, the amount of real time that i am without my mac while the drive is optimized is nil.

there are just so many reasons not to trust symantec. the first clue is that upgrades to mac products are not offered thru their web site. at least they weren't last time i checked which was back at the beginning of the year. the run around i got at that time, just trying to upgrade without having to go thru the rebate process, was enough to not just make me distrust them, but to activily campaign against them. any company that offers one deal to pc users and another to mac users for no good reason is obviously not concerned about us too much. give me a reason i should trust them when they take that attitude.

not to mention all the damage they have caused with their os x betas. more like alphas. try searching the site for 'norton' and see what i mean.

Back