Is it 64-bit?

colindunn

Registered
So I have a question. I know Leopard will only run on 64-bit workstations and I am wondering if my current machine is 64-bit. I couldnt find anything in ATM but I may have overlooked it. I am using a PowerMac G4 PPC. I am not sure what else would help determine the CPU.

Thanks for your help.

Your CPU is not 64-bit. It is 32-bit.

Leopard will run on both 32- and 64-bit systems. Leopard will run on your machine.

Leopard only running on 64-bit machines is misinformation -- where did you hear that?

Leopard delivers 64-bit power in one, universal OS. Now the Cocoa application frameworks, as well as graphics, scripting, and the UNIX foundations of the Mac, are all 64-bit. And since you get full performance and compatibility for your 32-bit applications and drivers, you don’t need to update everything on your system just to run a single 64-bit application.
Link

No worries Colin - it's not like Vista where you have either 32 or 64 bit. It's 64 bit where it can be, and when one's hardware or the software doesn't permit it's 32 bit. So your G4 will be just fine (depending on what you have now, maybe a bit more RAM in it if possible).

OK thanks for the help. I have a gig of ram right now but I will probably throw in another 512mb card when i pick up leopard.

Back