Is it just me?

icemanjc

I'm cool, I have a mac.
I've noticed since the first beta of OS X Lion that my laptop would always be heating up randomly and getting ready to take off with the fan whirring up. I know it's not just the fan going crazy because I watch the CPU rise before the fan kicks in. The thing is though, I'm not running any other apps. I checked activity monitor for the whole system. There is absolutely nothing CPU intensive running. Maybe just about 5% of the CPU is being used and a very small percent of RAM. I was hoping that this problem would be fixed in the golden master, but apparently not. And of course if I run another app, then it just goes crazy.

The only one I can think off is that my computer is getting old and it takes much more to run OS X Lion than the previous versions of OS X. The specs for the laptop are in my signature.

What do you think?

Oh, fun... Sorry to hear you're having these troubles, especially if it was on a clean install. I've heard a few stories of increased CPU usage, higher RAM demands (I'm hearing 2 GB is marginal, for example), increased heat, fans kicking in a lot more often, and decreased usage time when laptops are running off the battery.

Some people have suggested an SMC reset, although it seems results are mixed. Another person has even claimed that the new scroll bars are partly to blame, and has suggested changing to a more classical behavior. As ever, I'm keeping an eye out to see how many users can substantiate these observations...

So far, so not so good. I've started hating Lion by the day, theres just some many problems with it that make the very few new features in it, not worth it at all. I've pinpointed the biggest CPU hog too, it's OS X's Core Audio Daemon which is taking up about 100% of my CPU all the time. That's one entire core made useless!

Anyone think of a way to take care of this? After all, I do want my audio still.

If you're running off of a relatively new install of Lion, then be aware that Lion's Spotlight is going to reindex your boot drive (any any other drives connected to your computer) which can take hours to complete.

After I first installed Lion, Spotlight ran for the better part of 3 hours on my Mac mini (with 5 USB drives connected), and during this time, my fans spun very fast and the temperature of my CPU was a lot higher than normal. After Spotlight finished (I left it logged in and running overnight), the system returned to normal.

Check to see if Spotlight is indexing -- this could be the cause of the increased heat and processor usage on your system. If Spotlight is indexing, the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-hand corner will have a dot in the middle of the glass, and if you click on it, Spotlight will tell you whether it's still indexing or not (and a rough estimate of time to completion).

So far, so not so good. I've started hating Lion by the day, theres just some many problems with it that make the very few new features in it, not worth it at all. I've pinpointed the biggest CPU hog too, it's OS X's Core Audio Daemon which is taking up about 100% of my CPU all the time. That's one entire core made useless!

Anyone think of a way to take care of this? After all, I do want my audio still.
Just for comparison, Activity Monitor reports my CoreAudio is at .6% CPU.

If you're running off of a relatively new install of Lion, then be aware that Lion's Spotlight is going to reindex your boot drive (any any other drives connected to your computer) which can take hours to complete.

After I first installed Lion, Spotlight ran for the better part of 3 hours on my Mac mini (with 5 USB drives connected), and during this time, my fans spun very fast and the temperature of my CPU was a lot higher than normal. After Spotlight finished (I left it logged in and running overnight), the system returned to normal.

Check to see if Spotlight is indexing -- this could be the cause of the increased heat and processor usage on your system. If Spotlight is indexing, the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-hand corner will have a dot in the middle of the glass, and if you click on it, Spotlight will tell you whether it's still indexing or not (and a rough estimate of time to completion).

That's the first thing that I checked out, and I promptly disabled it, but the problem was still just as bad.

Well I formatted my drive and installed a fresh copy of Lion, seems to do better, but I sure hope I don't have to do this every week.

Also, AC3 audio out through the S/PDIF is also broke in Lion and it seems to be the same for everyone else as well.

Back