Is it Safari, or is it me?

jwennet

Registered
Greetings and Happy New Year,

I'm trying to transition from MS Internet Explorer to Safari, but find that it's not as smooth as I like. The biggest problem being that Safari never remembers user preferences/names for specific websites i used everyday (i.e. internet banking, ebay, this site, etc.). The second, and more specifically, it seems to have (i'll assume) security trouble with my bank. Especially when navigating between pages. It hangs and then a message error from my bank says that there's a communication error, and logs me out.

All that stuff works as it should with IE. Anyone know if this is merely an issue of setting preferences differently, or is this not a client based issue?

Thanks,

J

G5 2ghz, 1.5GB RAM, OSX.3.2, Safari 1.1.1

Well, the auto fill-in portion of Safari can be checked it two locations:
1) Safari menu->Preferences->Autofill
2) Make sure your Key Chain is set up correctly to accept saved passwords (Applications->Utilties->Keychain Access).

Also, the webmaster for your Bank has probably disabled your bank's site so it can only work with Internet Explorer. Although sometimes Safari can fool those efforts sometimes. In Safari there is a hidden menu called the Debug menu. There is a couple of small programs will unlock this menu for you. I use Safari Enhancer. Now, inside that Debug menu is something called User Agent and with that you can fool a web page into thinking your using another browser.

Plus, you are going to love using tab browsing.

Thanks Satcomer. Safari enhancer helped with that one website, although it still wouldn't remeber my user name when i go to the site to sign on. Not too familiar with Keychain access to figure out if it's configured correctly. Can you provide some detail into how to check?

Thanks,

Jason

i believe it's a cookie thing. The web sites your are using either have high security to protect it's users from some logging in with your details. Or maybe your cookie security is set to high. some site require java script to be enabled too, but i cant see this being to critical.there is also a setting in the Safari preferences pain under autofill which says user name and passwords. You could maybe try clicking this? Does the macosx.com forums remember you when you come back ?oops you said it doesn't lol. did you ask macosx com to remember you when you when you came back when you log in?. You could also try accepting all cookies always and see if this helps you out, wouldnt recomend it though as your open to abuse then :) Oh well just a few ideas, see how you get on and get back to me. You could also tell us which specific sites excluding your bank one :) thats your having probs with so that we can go try it for ya.
but either way it definetely something to do with your cookies. macosx remembers me and i use safari.

just a quick addition, have you tried repairing permissions ? this may help also as aol would refuse to remember my password as there were permission errors and hence it would save the setting, after repairing permissions no bother at all.

Well, I'm, at work now so forgive me on the details. Well, KeyChain Access has settings in the preferences (in the program) and make sure it's setup to remember passwords for internet sites. That's the most I can think of. Plus, remember to Repair Permissions (with Disk Utility). That also should help.

Back