Is it safe to remove the Library folders from the finder sidebar? And, should I leave one? Which?

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I have two libraries that show up in Finder. (I have for years). I probably dragged either or both over there years ago.

One is HD>Users>Home>Library and the other is HD>Library. I understand they contain different info, one is the system library and the other a local. Is it okay to remove either from the finder side bar? And if so, does it help to leave the local one there and re-hide the system one? (Not suggesting deleting anything, just want to do if it's safe to remove from the sidebar

Last edited:
Actually, there's more than just two libraries on your Mac.
1. One for your user folder (and there's a Library folder in each user on your Mac)
Those [username] folders may appear to not have a Library folder, as the user Library folder is hidden, by default. You can choose to have your own Library folder visible, but other user Library folders will remain hidden, unless you choose to un-hide all hidden files.
2. The root /Library folder you already know about.
And 3. There is a Library folder in the /System folder.
So, every Mac has 3 Library folders, plus, if you have more than one user account on your Mac, there will be a Library folder in each user's home folder.

Actually, there's more than just two libraries on your Mac.
1. One for your user folder (and there's a Library folder in each user on your Mac)
Those [username] folders may appear to not have a Library folder, as the user Library folder is hidden, by default. You can choose to have your own Library folder visible, but other user Library folders will remain hidden, unless you choose to un-hide all hidden files.
2. The root /Library folder you already know about.
And 3. There is a Library folder in the /System folder.
So, every Mac has 3 Library folders, plus, if you have more than one user account on your Mac, there will be a Library folder in each user's home folder.
I decided to just remove them from the sidebar. If I need to get into a library for preferences, etc., I'll just call it back up. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back