Is Linux faster than OSX?

One Sick Puppy said:
I'm interested in running Open Office on my iBook. I'm a "native" windows user, and I'm rather frustrated with MS Word 2004 so unbelievably slow, and after trying various other word processors for the Mac, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I've also tried installing X11 and that crashed on me shortly after I got Open Office installed, so I ditched it.

Now then, I'm thinking that perhaps an installation of some flavor of Linux + Open Office for Linux would be practical.

Can someone advise on this idea? Is Linux faster than OSX? I'm thinking maybe Mandrake, or Gentoo or Yellow Dog, as I've seen these suggested around the net. None of which I have any experience with whatsoever. In fact, I have little or no Linux experience... but I learn quick.

I would satay on Mac OS X, up to day Mac OS X is the best operating system in the market. I worked with Open Office and Linux. Oppen Office is heavy, the first time you start, after that its performance is normal. You'll get the same performance or something else in OS X, trust me. Don't switch off.

See you, Peter.

Back