Is my HD really failing

cameronim

Registered
iMac G5
OS X 10.4
2GHz 512 sdram
As a New Years gift, about 10 days ago, for no other reason I went to Disc Utility to Repair Permissions. I found my disc listed in Red and my smart status failing. all functions greyed out. Since August 2005, from new, I have suffered three HD failures and replacments. I backed up all my materials. My computer works perfectly, no problems. The programn Main Menu runs through its routine doing Disc Permissions Repairs, Maintenance Scipts and Executive Batch Tasks, no problems. Apple Service will send a technician over from Barcelona. my Spanish is limited and the questions I wish to ask are. If this the 3rd HD is failing, Why???? Previous HD have lasted 6 months, this last one 10 months.
The only problem I can see and I have no idea what it means My Console log warns me with "Best Calendar Date from string cant interpret"
In the meantime I sit with a perfectely operating computer, wondering is SMART Status always correct in its predictions???
Ian Cameron

You could have just bad luck with hard drives or something with heat in the mac is making those drives to fail. You better monitor the fans to make sure they are working.

Further to my request for help dated Jan 9 2007 Titled "Is my HD really failing" Today Jan 13 when I checked with Disc Utility I found that 14 days from the day it first showed Disc Failing my HD appears to have repaired itself. I can run all tests on Disc Utility, all good. So it would seem the answer to my question "Is smart status always correct the answer would seem to be NO!!!!!!!
Ian

Keep your backups current!

Don't ignore the SMART status messages, and watch for OTHER problems, such as delays in launching apps, or other delays of actions that normally are very quick, such as drop-down menus, or listing files in a folder, that type of thing. This can be caused by other problems, but if you have SMART messges, AND other kinds of problems with your system, then don't delay and risk losing your important data.
Some iMac G5s have problems with cooling the area around the hard drive, and heat just takes out the hard drive. Watch the cooling air intakes along the bottom of your iMac, make sure that nothing is blocking those, or the long slot across the back of your computer.

Back