Is My MacBook Pro Sick?

Hi, J.D.

Specs should be pretty much the same as my current MacBook Pro:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

I notice on the specs page that they list the most comparable model to mine as having a 250GB rather than the 200GB HDD that mine has.

I'm not really sure what the exact specs are as I'll have to go in tomorrow morning and have a long talk with them about things, but I'd like to think that I'll have at least the above, but maybe even a couple of improvements.

I also noticed that the battery life is supposed to be 5 hours instead of the 4 hours my model has, so that's a bonus! :)

IMHO: Give them a big kiss on the cheek (face, that is) and leave with your new MBP delighted to have a new one.

Though you have essentially obtained my MacBook with less memory . . . no "pro." Do not know if that matters or not.

--J.D.

Ok, I've got my new MBP (a replacement for the one I bought that was faulty).

One problem: this new, all singing, all dancing trackpad mouse will just stop at random moments and stop responding. Am also finding that now that the trackpad and button are an all-in-one, when I try to copy folders/directories by pressing ctrl+button I get no menu of options (move to trash, copy, etc.). Even if I move focus to something else and come back, the little options menu never appears. I have to close Finder and re-open it to get this copy function to work.

What gives? Is there some trick to this new trackpad or have I been given yet another dud?

Oh, and one other thing....

Why is it that whenever I zip my finger across the trackpad so that all open windows are displayed so I can choose which one I want to give focus to, there is a very small little window called "Invisible" that appears down at the bottom right of the screen?

I never had that with my last Mac.

Congrats!

Apple just this week issued a trackpad solution (update) Go to Software Update and update your new MBP.

You might have had this before, but even if you didn't, download FinderPop; it gives you tone of options when you hold the 'control' key down.

Hi, SGilbert,

Thanks for both tips. I'll download the update (and FinderPop) and see what I get. Hopefully this will fix things.

One other point, however: why is it that when I choose to save a file from a program (Audacity, for instance), I am not given the option to save it explicitly where I want to save it. Instead, I'm only present with the option to save in a general location (home directory, desktop, or a recently accessed folder).

It's very tedious saving to where I don't want to save and then moving the data after the fact.

Thanks

Did you . . . click the arrows?

-J.D.

Attachments

• ArrowDown.jpg
    ArrowDown.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ArrowUp.jpg
    ArrowUp.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 3
J. D.,

When I go to save/export the file I have three options (with drop down arrows):

Save as:
where:
format:

When I click on "where:", I only get the aforementioned options: my home directory, Applications, etc. or one of 4-5 previously accessed directories.

When you click on Home Directory, for example, you should be able to go anywhere within the directory. Can you post a picture?

--J.D.

Can you post a screenshot?

I've attached a screenshot with annotations of a "Save As..." dialog box. The links on the left-hand side are shortcuts to common places. The pull-down menu at the top allows you to navigate your current hard drive folder path. You can then navigate using the middle pane by double-clicking (or single-clicking if you're in column view) just like you would on your hard drive.

If you wanted to save to a folder in your home folder, you could pull the drop-down menu down to your hard drive, navigate by double-clicking in the middle pane to /Users/yourusername/yourfolder, then click "Save."

Is this not what you're seeing?

Attachments

• navigate.jpg
    navigate.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 7
Back