Is my version of Photoshop 7 now too out of date for Leopard?

kriz105

Registered
I have been running Photoshop 7 on my MacBook - Tiger - all good.

I purchased and installed Leopard today and installed but Photoshop 7 wont run, i get a message telling me ' An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occured because of program error., Photoshop will now exit'
Thats it.
I dont have my original Photoshop disc, it was stolen about 1 year ago. So.Has anyone else experienced this? Do have to buy a new copy of photoshop? I hope not. Ungrade = expense!

Any one help?
Chris

Thanks

Did you upgrade from your Tiger system, or install a fresh system?

I remember when I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, some version of Photoshop (CS, I think) stopped working because some required support files were missing. When I moved them back from my old system, everything started working again. I remember specificially that the absence of "Adobe Unit Types" in the "/Library/Scripting Additions" folder caused some weird problems.

So if you installed a fresh system, look through your old Library and copy over anything that looks like it's related to Adobe or Photoshop.

My 6-year-old + iBook started to die and I purchased a Macbook to replace it. I transferred everything over from the old machine and when I tried to open Photoshop 7 (which had been working fine on the old machine, up until its demise), I got the message "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because of a program error. Photoshop will now quit." I trashed and reinstalled. Then deleted all the preferences. Still getting the same message. Do I need to upgrade?

Thank you. (see below from console log)

12/29/07 8:17:37 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
12/29/07 8:17:37 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not stop cache/fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
12/29/07 8:17:38 PM quicklookd[97] EXCEPTION CPMessageException: (null)
12/29/07 8:19:07 PM [0x0-0x10010].com.adobe.Photoshop[167] SysBreakStr: An unexpected exception has occurred.
12/29/07 8:19:07 PM [0x0-0x10010].com.adobe.Photoshop[167] SysBreakStr: An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred (primary). Exiting.
12/29/07 8:24:59 PM com.apple.launchd[67] (0x109450.Locum[183]) Exited: Terminated
12/29/07 8:25:08 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.adobe.Photoshop[187] SysBreakStr: An unexpected exception has occurred.

From the Adobe web site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf
And a portion from that document:
While older Adobe applications may install and run on Mac OS X Leopard, they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may, therefore, experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Leopard

Adobe will not provide support to get older apps to work with Leopard,
plus, upgrading to CS3 will give you native support on your Macbook... quite an expense, however.

same problem with PS7 plus ImageReady 7.0 doesn't come up

so, $2,500 suite received a few years ago no longer works

wonder if Adobe will allow me to upgrade at a discount

Back