Is There A Way To Edit Permissions For Whole Computer?

Hello everyone. Quick question for all you OSX experts out there. I have OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan and whenever I download a zip file and unzip it to my mac I cannot open the file because of the set of permissions. I know how to change the sharing and permission by right clicking and going to info, but I want to be able to have the whole computer set all files to read and write, so anytime I download anything I do not need to set permissions for each file individually. Sometimes I download hundreds of files and it is too time consuming to set permission for each file individually. Thanks :)

Can you tell me what message you get when you try to open a file that you have just unzipped?
This is likely the most important question, as the message might be interpreted in different ways, and possibly is not a permissions issue.

When you download a zipped file, do you move the file before you try to unzip it? Or leave it in your Downloads folder. Or, do you download your typical files somewhere else on your hard drive?

Is there any difference when you use the good utility "The Unarchiver" to unzip your files?

Finally, can you tell me what kind of files you download? Are they all the same type (pictures, sound files, graphics, or a variety of different files with no common type at all?)

Can you tell me what message you get when you try to open a file that you have just unzipped?
This is likely the most important question, as the message might be interpreted in different ways, and possibly is not a permissions issue.

When you download a zipped file, do you move the file before you try to unzip it? Or leave it in your Downloads folder. Or, do you download your typical files somewhere else on your hard drive?

Is there any difference when you use the good utility "The Unarchiver" to unzip your files?

Finally, can you tell me what kind of files you download? Are they all the same type (pictures, sound files, graphics, or a variety of different files with no common type at all?)

Thank you for replying.
You do not have permission to open the document “EUS - Los Otros - 06 De Lejos.mp3”.
for example.

I download the files to a folder I created for example.

I just use winzip app I downloaded and it's free

Usually MP3s, but sometimes other files as well, like dmg etc.
MP3s are usually from bandcamp

I have seen some reports that WinZip can cause your issue.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6707160?start=0&tstart=0
(That is almost exactly what you have :D )

I like using The Unarchiver (completely free, not a trial like WinZip), and is more Mac-friendly.
But, you might not need external tools to unzip. OS X has the built-in Archive Utility, which will unzip most formats. Some may not unzip properly. For those, I use The Unarchiver :D
Try it out on one of your download zip file, just right click, choose Open With, then Archive Utility. Archive Utility may show as default, and you could then just double-click the file to unzip it.
Can you open the resulting file without problem?

I like using The Unarchiver (completely free, not a trial like WinZip), and is more Mac-friendly.
But, you might not need external tools to unzip. OS X has the built-in Archive Utility, which will unzip most formats. Some may not unzip properly. For those, I use The Unarchiver :D
Try it out on one of your download zip file, just right click, choose Open With, then Archive Utility. Archive Utility may show as default, and you could then just double-click the file to unzip it.

Thanks. I will try.

I deleted WinZip and tried to install The Unarchiver, but it did not install. So I gave up and tried the built in zip on OSX and it seems to do the job great. No problems like before. Thanks.

?? I must have missed part of what you posted.
There is no "install" for The Unarchiver. You just download the disk image (.dmg) from the site. That opens to a folder with the app. Drag the app to wherever you like. I put it in the Utilities folder. You don't even need to know where it is, just right click on a file, and choose The Unarchiver from the Open With submenu.
The Unarchiver is also available from the App Store, but I find it easier to get updates direct from the source site.

Anyway - I'm glad to hear that you have a resolution of your issue. Good Luck!

Back