Is There A Way To Password Lock Off Wireless Network Card On Admin Account On Mac Os X 10.9.4?

Falkan

Registered
So I have this issue with having wireless internet access 24/7 and I'm wondering, is there a way to turn off
the wireless internet card and password lock it? Like, you need someone else to enter a password to turn the
wireless back on (this would be locking wireless off to admin account).

p.s. - I'm not super tech savvy so please, if you have advice, give "baby steps" :D

Thx!

Do you want to stop internet access completely on your Mac?
Or - just turn off your wireless card?
If you turn off the wireless card, and lock it out - you would still have internet access simply by plugging an ethernet cable between your Mac and your router.

Or, do you want to prevent access to your wireless router (and no wireless connections at all, when you don't want wireless)? That's easy enough - just turn off, or unplug your router. No one can use your wireless connection then... You can also disconnect the router from the modem, or turn off the wifi radio in the router.

Do you want to stop internet access completely on your Mac?
Or - just turn off your wireless card?
If you turn off the wireless card, and lock it out - you would still have internet access simply by plugging an ethernet cable between your Mac and your router.

Or, do you want to prevent access to your wireless router (and no wireless connections at all, when you don't want wireless)? That's easy enough - just turn off, or unplug your router. No one can use your wireless connection then... You can also disconnect the router from the modem, or turn off the wifi radio in the router.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thx for your reply DeltaMac!

So in answer to your questions - I don't really have "home" internet per-se w/modem & router (more of a roamer using free wifi and such). So ethernet
shouldn't be a problem. It's more that I need to be able to go anywhere I need with my laptop and not worry about internet "distractions".

From the little you said about turning off the wireless card, it sounded like you might be able to lock it off. Is that possible? To lock the card "off" w/password
protection? (or some such security?) [essentially locking from myself but accessible to a friend who has the psswrd?]

Again, thx a lot! ;)

Ah, OK, so you are letting a friend use your laptop.
If your friend is using your laptop, and not very Mac-knowledgable, you can turn the Airport card off, make sure the Airport menu item is not showing.

Oh - be sure to change your admin password, and don't give it out to your friends. They can still use your laptop, but can't change anything that requires a password.
Go in to your Security & Privacy pane, then Advanced (you'll have to unlock that pane first), and CHECK the box "Require and administrator password to change system-wide settings" - and, turn off your wireless card. Your buddy can't turn it back on without your password - which you don't give out...

OR - is your real goal to help _you_ keep on your own tasks, without the distraction of using the internet yourself....
That would be challenging, because you would always know how to re-enable your internet whenever you feel the "need"

Ah, OK, so you are letting a friend use your laptop.
If your friend is using your laptop, and not very Mac-knowledgable, you can turn the Airport card off, make sure the Airport menu item is not showing.

Oh - be sure to change your admin password, and don't give it out to your friends. They can still use your laptop, but can't change anything that requires a password.
Go in to your Security & Privacy pane, then Advanced (you'll have to unlock that pane first), and CHECK the box "Require and administrator password to change system-wide settings" - and, turn off your wireless card. Your buddy can't turn it back on without your password - which you don't give out...

OR - is your real goal to help _you_ keep on your own tasks, without the distraction of using the internet yourself....
That would be challenging, because you would always know how to re-enable your internet whenever you feel the "need"

Pretty much it's going to be the "OR" - (OR - is your real goal to help _you_ keep on your own tasks, without the distraction of using the internet yourself.... That
would be challenging)

Challenging.... darn :confused:. Is it "challenging impossible" do you think? Or "challenging doable-but-pretty-hard"?

I'm thinking - give a friend the "security access" (whatever that might be) to "turn on or off" the
wireless card (I wouldn't have access) and then just ask him/her to type in the psswrd/whatever whenever I need internet access. All while still being able to maintain my administrator abilities.... impossible?

(Do you know what it might entail or would it take some serious brain storming to figure out?)

Thx for input

Last edited:
Falkan, if you can't trust yourself, then you need help. Really! Professional psychological help. You are addicted.
Only help I can offer you is to do whatever work you need to do with pen & paper--leave you Mac at home.

Falkan, if you can't trust yourself, then you need help. Really! Professional psychological help. You are addicted.
Only help I can offer you is to do whatever work you need to do with pen & paper--leave you Mac at home.

breh, only a fool trusts himself when he's an addict.

And YES you're right, I am an addict (wrk in prog), but I STILL need to get my projects done (musical)
and last time I checked Pro Tools 11 doesn't run on OS PaperInk.1 ;)

So0o0o.... USEFUL input IS helpful :cool:

So if anyone else has any idea of a solution, please don't let your fingers hesitate! thx

(DeltaMac, if you have any wise words don't hesitate either, thx!)

Last edited:
A suggestion: Pull the wireless card out. You’d have to shut down the Mac in order to put it back in.
OR shut down your browser and mail while you work. Give yourself the reward of launching them when you are completely done with your work. Half the battle is recognizing the problem, which you have.
You are responsible for you. Relying on others may lead to broken friendships.

Back