Is there another way to install Windows XP

Newber

Registered
Is there a way to install Windows XP from a disc image or something? Just curious. I have Virtual PC working and I'm trying to get Windows XP in the drive, but I'm having problems having it boot from it.

... I have Virtual PC working and I'm trying to get Windows XP in the drive, but I'm having problems having it boot from it.
What do you mean? Virtual PC is a Mac application. This application creates a virtual environment in which various Intel-compatible operating systems may run. The OS and its apps are stored on one or more disk image files which serve as the virtual machine's hard drives. The Intel-compatible PC also has access to compatible removable storage such as CDs and Flash drives. MacOS drives are accessible as network drives. To be very clear, Windows installed on Virtual PC cannot boot your Mac. It can only boot the virtual environment created by VPC.

I'm sorry about that, I'm new to all this. I want to boot Windows XP in Virtual PC, but I do not have the original disc for it. Can I still do it?

You can install Windows XP from a .iso image with VirtualPC. Use the "Capture ISO" menu selection to do this.

If this does not solve your problem, then you'll need to be much more specific about what exactly you wish to do and what kind of disk image or Windows XP install you are in possession of.

You can install Windows XP from a .iso image with VirtualPC. Use the "Capture ISO" menu selection to do this.

If this does not solve your problem, then you'll need to be much more specific about what exactly you wish to do and what kind of disk image or Windows XP install you are in possession of.

How do you create the ISO? I have Toast 6 Titanium. I looked on it and found the ISO 9something option in Advanced, but do I drag in the folder only or the files?

Thank you for your help.

What is "as files?" You mean just one, big, directory copy of a Windows XP installation CD?

You can make an ISO of this using Disk Utility, but it may not be "bootable." *From Disk Utility, select "File > New > Disk Image from Folder". Choose the Windows XP folder and select an image type of "DVD/CD Master" with no compression. Let it create the image, and try it with VirtualPC. If it still refuses to boot, it's likely that your Windows XP "files" can't be burned back to a CD in a bootable state.

What happened to the original Windows XP installation CD that you got the files from? Just a heads-up: if you didn't obtain the files in a legal manner (ie, buying a licensed, legal version of Windows XP), then the help you receive on this topic may end here... there isn't any talk of illegal ways to install or obtain Mac OS X here, and I'm sure the same extends to Windows installations as well.

What is "as files?" You mean just one, big, directory copy of a Windows XP installation CD?

You can make an ISO of this using Disk Utility, but it may not be "bootable." *From Disk Utility, select "File > New > Disk Image from Folder". Choose the Windows XP folder and select an image type of "DVD/CD Master" with no compression. Let it create the image, and try it with VirtualPC. If it still refuses to boot, it's likely that your Windows XP "files" can't be burned back to a CD in a bootable state.

What happened to the original Windows XP installation CD that you got the files from? Just a heads-up: if you didn't obtain the files in a legal manner (ie, buying a licensed, legal version of Windows XP), then the help you receive on this topic may end here... there isn't any talk of illegal ways to install or obtain Mac OS X here, and I'm sure the same extends to Windows installations as well.

I apologize and I am ending this topic. Please to the mods, delete this thread.

Back