Is there any way to remove the ownership of an entire partition?

RPS

Registered
Because... I am root and have always been so. Now, in 10.3, Finder doesn't work when I'm root. No biggie, I'll just start using a [non-root] admin user. But, I installed Photoshop on my 9 partition, and for some reason, only root can access it. Then you could say. "well log in as root and move it to that other user's desktop". But I can't, cause I can't access Finder as root. I tried BatCHmod but that didn't work very well. Does anyone know of a way to completely get rid of any permissions on that partition? Any terminal command? Thanks a lot in advance.

Good luck in finding someone to help you with a pre-release 10.3, (which has huge changes in the Finder in the first place) maybe you can back out of the upgrade? You may also find that modifying permissions has changed somewhat for 10.3. You'll also find here that virtually no one would recommend operating as root user with productivity software, and now you've thrown in all the unknowns of pre-released (beta) system software. Just a idea, have you tried reinstalling Photoshop on a partition that you CAN use? :)

i echo the others here, root is almost always too much. you can sudo around an admin acct and its much better imho. anyway, on jaguar you could get info on a non boot HD and check the Ignore ownership on this volume box which did just that.

other than "don't use root", try Get Info, change the ownership, and apply to all the contents.

Or, use chown

I'm having a similar problem..i made a new admin user on my comp, and deleted the old one, but copied over most of my prefs and now i have problems in most of my folders saying i dont have access...its annoying to give my new user admin read and write every time something goes wrong - would booting off the 10.2 disc and using disc copy and repair permissions do the job? if not, can i do chown on my drive name, and that would fix every folder? i shouldnt have privs to all folders, should i? so repair permissions???

What's the exact command for "chown"?

And another question, I was used to being root, but now that I'm just an admin, I have to enter my keychain pass for mail and Safari everytime I open them, what's the point of saving a password if you have to enter another password to get it? Is there any way to disable that I have to enter that all the time?

At the Keychain pass window, just click on "always allow" which will then open your keychained items without asking (unless you make some change to the passworded item, example, updating an app) You can also open Keychain Access, click the 'lock' and unlock your keychain

Back