Is this a joke...?

Jadey

sosumi
Read this article:

http://www.reviewboard.com/Section/Notebooks/powerbookg4

and tell me if you think this guy is serious. It HAS to be a joke. Everything in there is so misinformed.

A couple of quotes:

"Their new OS which they call OS X is based on Linux"

most linux folks know the difference between bsd & linux...

"The problem with them is not the hardware, it is the software, and the fact that everything you buy to expand your horizon has to be an Apple product."

apparently there are no 3rd party apps for Mac OS X.

They also use MAC instead of Mac, as though it was an acronym. :rolleyes:

" They aren't giving enough incentive to developers to do anything for the Apple OS and because they don't have developers making software, you aren't getting 3rd party people making all those cool accessories. "

Oh, I see that the free DevTools are just there for people to mess up their machine? sure...

That's one rag I won't be reading...

I don't think this should actually count as a review, since apparently their closest contact with a Mac is from store windows. Does someone actually make money for writing this?

i think this little blurb over on the side by the article gives a clue as to how 'informed' the writer is:

'Check Out Our New RB Cheats Database with over 15,000 cheats for just about every game on the planet!'

i doubt this guy ever does any work with his computer except to use office (word only), which he will insist is absolutely necessary for proper indentation of paragraphs and spellchecking.

I checked out three reviews and they were all terrible and completely fact-free. I don't think it's a joke but this site isn't worth my time. They can't put more than 10 minutes of research into their "reviews" before they start writing.

I sent an argument. Because Windows is stupid, it prematurely sent the e-mail in during the middle of my complaint. Luckily, I retrieved it and sent in Part 2... here it is in it's entirity!

I am not a Mac user... I use Windows XP. I have never owned a Mac in my life, so I'm not 100% biased towards the Mac Platform. You state so many untrue facts about the PowerMac G4 and I hope you decide to work around with some products a bit more before you review them in such a harsh manner.

"There is very little in the way of software available for the Apple when you compare it to the PC offerings."

True... but with over 2,500 applications being written for the Mac platform, how can you say that there is VERY LITTLE in the way of software available.

"Another problem with the Apple computer operating system is the fact that it is completely different than operating systems for the PC (whether we are talking Windows, OS/2 or Linux)."

Yes, of course, it is written by Apple for their machines. Completely different than x86 architecture used by the other named Operating Systems

"Their new OS which they call OS X is based on Linux"

Wrong. It's based on UNIX. It says that on the Mac OS X Website at Apple.com.

"So why are they having this problem? In my opinion it is because they are short sighted and greedy. They aren't giving enough incentive to developers to do anything for the Apple OS and because they don't have developers making software, you aren't getting 3rd party people making all those cool accessories."

Short sighted and greedy?! Not giving enough incentive to developers to do anything for the Mac OS? No developers making software? No 3rd Party "cool accessories" manufactures? I'm sorry man, but you must check up on your facts before you slam something! Apple provides developers with tools to make applications for their OS.

"Only recently have you seen MAC accessories start back up and that was simply because of the USB revolution"

Could it also be because of the 25 million Mac users that like to use USB peripherals just like Wintel users like to use USB peripherals also?

"My advice is to stay clear of anything Apple and watch carefully what happens in the next few years. When Apple policy changes, when more and more software starts coming out, it will be time to re-evaluate investing in Apple computer hardware."

Apple has many new technologies that are being planned to come out in the next few years along with better products (like any other company). As I stated earlier, Apple has a large amount of programs available, it's just that stores don't seem to like to store Mac programs as much, that's why there is the Internet.

"Games will be a huge indication. When you start seeing 2 rows of Computer games at the store for Apple computers, it will be time to buy one."

Games aren't the only indication of success in the computer industry.

And also, like I said in my first e-mail, you should really get the facts before you publish something like this. Maybe even go ask a few other people that have used the product or are familiar with the line of products and brand.

Casey Kelley

If there's anything that I sent that was wrong or not right, please tell me!

not bad blingbling. you might have stretched things a little but nothing like they do, so no big deal. You might have reminded them that they have apple to thank for firewire. of course they may not have heard of firewire yet since they are busy being excited about usb - a technology i am gradually weaning myself from.

i would rewrite your first reply to:

With over 2,500 applications being written for the Mac platform, how can you say that there is VERY LITTLE in the way of software available unless all you are counting is games?

I also wanna thank you guys for giving me some of the info to throw at 'em...

but there are a lot of games you can get for a Mac... just not in the same comparison to Wintel games...

heh that site is very stupid

Thanks blingBling for emailing him, i think I may follow up on that.

See, the author leaves out one important difference between $m's 'OS' and Apple's:

Apple's os is so unix compatable that I would venture to guess 99% of all linux, BSD, and solaris apps could be recompiled to run on it.

With windows, you are lucky to compile a program on one windows box and have it run on another (Believe me, I've developed on windows before, its a pain in the ass!).

Anyway, with the literally thousands of volunteers writing and contributing to apps arround the world, there is a huge multitude of programs which will run on macs now.

Allow me to summerize:
BSD
Linux
Solaris
Mac OS 6.5.0-9.2.2
Mac OS X
And, with vpc:
Windows 95 through present day.

To say there is a lack of software for Mac OS X is utterly stupid.

The only thing I don't like about the titanium g4 is its lack of screen resolution. The cheapest dell laptop has the same video ram and a similar resolution.

But other than that, its a kick ass computer, and if I was going to buy a laptop, if I could afford a Ti book, I'd get one for sure!

Edit:
It occured to me: Before I but a ti book, I'll get two ibooks and send one to bling bling ;) he deserves one for sticking his neck out for us.

boy, and i remember a few days ago when you said i was your new best friend;)

also very rich of you considering blingbling has a new imac on the way. I think he would be much happier if you would just buy his old dell:cool:

sure! that's a great plan! :D

edit: whoops... ed replied like a second before me... so correcting... both would be great plans!

you have a new imac on the way? Doh. Sorry, free ibook cupon just expired ;-)

don't worry ed, you're still on the best friend list :p

time for more greatfull dead.. later yall

Ps: Matrix Agent: Everytime I see that avitar I laugh my ass off! Thanks for a good laugh!

Philip Ferreira - Editor-In-Chief

Interesting review of the Apple PowerBook G4, but not in a good way. There are too many errors for this to be classified as a review, because your writer didn't get any information before they wrote their review (I'm sure I could write as good a review of a broadway musical seeing as I have never seen one).

The problem with them is not the hardware, it is the software, and the fact that everything you buy to expand your horizon has to be an Apple product.

There is very little in the way of software available for the Apple when you compare it to the PC offerings. That is why I am going to tell you to stay clear of them. Another problem with the Apple computer operating system is the fact that it is completely different than operating systems for the PC (whether we are talking Windows, OS/2 or Linux).

I can tell you that this person doesn't know what they are talking about. When has there been any software that would run on Windows, OS/2 or Linux? A new version has to be created for each of these as much as for a Macintosh.

Okay, so Apple makes some apps for their own Operating System, this is not so strange considering that a majority of PCs running Microsoft Windows have very little else installed beyond Microsoft Office. But that isn't the point now is it? The point is that there are plenty of applications for the Mac OS, so lets look at a few shall we.

Adobe: Acrobat, GoLive, Illustrator, Image Ready, InDesign, PageMaker, Photoshop, ATM Deluxe After Effects
Corel: CorelDRAW suite
Procreate: Painter, KnockOut, KPT Effects
Microsoft: Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Entourage, Excel, PowerPoint, Word
BareBones Software: BBEdit
Softpress: Freeway
Macromedia: Dreamweaver, Freehand, Flash, Director
Stone Design: Stone Studio w/Create
Caffeine Software: TIFFany, PixelNhance
Omni Group: OmniWeb, OmniOutline, OmniGraffle, OmniDiskSweeper
Srata: Videoshop

And then games, you know I don't play many games, but here are some that I do have:

Quake I, II, III, Elite Force, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, F/A-18 (both Korea and Hornet)

And yes, there is more than two rows of games at the Apple Store (and even CompUSA the last time I checked). And then there is the Apple software on top of everything else:

AppleWorks, iTunes (free), iPhoto (free), iDVD, iMovie, DVD Studio, Final Cut Pro

And should there be something out there that doesn't run on the Mac OS, you can run it in VirtualPC on any of these operating systems (most of which I have installed on my system):

Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT 3.1, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, OS/2 Warp (1.0 - 4.0), Solaris 2.6, 7, 8 for Intel, Linux (pick your favorite), NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, and others.

Their new OS which they call OS X is based on Linux, but it is still different enough to prevent you from doing anything with it because all the cool linux programs are designed to run on a PC platform.

Mac OS X is based on 4.4BSD and Mach, not Linux. And what cool Linux programs? The software horizon for Linux makes the Mac selection look great! How can you miss that one?

So why are they having this problem? In my opinion it is because they are short sighted and greedy. They aren't giving enough incentive to developers to do anything for the Apple OS and because they don't have developers making software, you aren't getting 3rd party people making all those cool accessories.

And all that is is an opinion. But from everything that came before it, it is based on NO research at all.

Only recently have you seen MAC accessories start back up and that was simply because of the USB revolution, and the fact that Apple is starting to see the writing on the wall (again).

USB (designed by Intel) was around for quite a few years before Apple started to use it. In that time there was almost NO products that used USB. When Apple said they were designing a system that would ONLY use USB (the iMac back in 1998), that was when the first serious product started to be made. And what accessories have not been out there for Macs anyway? Sounds like more opinion than fact to me. As for the "writing on the wall", Apple is currently one of the most successful computer companies and has seen almost no slow down in this recession. Most PC companies would love to be as successful as Apple (at least all their former employees would have liked it before being laid off). This shows that this writer is completely oblivious to the actual state of Apple, it's products and sales figures, or what common software companies are doing with regards to writing for the Mac OS.

My advice is to stay clear of anything Apple and watch carefully what happens in the next few years.

Really, it sounds like the writer stayed completely clear of Apple while writing this article.

3 out of 3 Stars for the hardware, but I think this article shows that if you are a home user, Apple is just not what you should be using.

This article shows that if you are paying this person, you should get your money back. This person's article sounds like a combination of reading other people's reviews mixed in with their own misconceptions. Frankly I would be very surprised if the writer has seen anything more than a picture of the PowerBook G4. And there is very little here that your Review Crew could not have found out by spending 15-20 minutes searching the internet.

I'm not asking for a good review, just a REAL review would be enough. Hate it if you like, but do it based on the actual facts.

excellent job! man, i wish i could have wrote something like that! maybe that will get their writers to actually spend some time "reviewing" the product...

wonderful replies - both of them. Blingbling you wrote a great reply. no need to hero worship racerx. he has a few more years and a little more experience/education in the field than you. be proud of having done as well as you did for a guy your age. I think your reply might be more meaningful to the writers since it states how you are not a mac user. unfortunately they will probably pay about as much attention to either as they did to the facts in the first place.

I still think somebody should have pointed out the world is going firewire.

so jadey, where did you find this> is this site a popular one? did you follow some link to get there or do you read this crap for sh*ts and giggles on a regular basis?

it does sound like manicDVLN got a gig with an audience, doesn't it?

Funny, I thought that I was modeling my response after your's, BlingBling. Actually it was your response that got me to read the article in the first place. I originally thought that it was going to be the standard flame type article, but it turned out to be much more (or should I say much less :D ).

Hehe :) Gotta love these topics :)
It's too bad that many ignorant PC users just NEVER see things like this. Somebody should start a website WhyMac :)

Back