Is this THE ONE ?

I remember seeing a documentary (I think it was "Revenge of the Nerds") where Steve was arguing with a Macintosh engineer, saying that the Mac should have the ability to draw rectangles with rounded corners. When the engineer said it was a waste of time, Steve started pointing out all the rectangles with rounded edges that he could find.... road signs and the like. And to this day, look at your menubar.... with it's nice rounded edges. I think that's just a bit to squareed off to be real.

I really think this is fake. Even if this guy supposedly smuggled this picture out, he provides no context as to how he got it and where. It could have been a rendering by any industrial designer; it could have been a student design project; it could have been an iteration of powermac. But even so, it wouldn't be the final one b/c it's disgusting. And we know Jonny Ive wouldn't allow work to be like this. It's a fake.

Wow... I started dragging the picture around the screen, and when you do that with a big picture, IE shrinks it, and it produced this weird moire effect on those, um, slits, or whatever they are.

I don't want a computer that moire's!

You all might gonna hate me for this, but I'd actually like that design for an Xstation. Clean, lean, mean. Just a box. If it's the right materials, it'll look sleek, I think.

Of course, it also seems strange to me that it doesn't have a second bay. But then again, I guess most people don't really want a DVD-R(W) _and_ another optical drive. (What for, anyway? Direct CD copying?)

That box is way too big for an Xserve, anyway. The Xserve is a slim machine designed to be stowed away in a 40U rack, and it's the perfect size to take up 1U. Apple isn't going to suddenly make the Xserve a giant tower because that doesn't make sense for companies buying them in bulk to stash in a 40U rack.

It's so easy to stir up talk around these times, it is good to get us thinking a certain way, then when we see the new ones, there's more of a WOW factor. Because that thing is a ventilated piece of s***, and thats being as nice.

Originally posted by arden
That box is way too big for an Xserve, anyway. The Xserve is a slim machine designed to be stowed away in a 40U rack, and it's the perfect size to take up 1U. Apple isn't going to suddenly make the Xserve a giant tower because that doesn't make sense for companies buying them in bulk to stash in a 40U rack.

No Xserve! No!

Xstation instead... That's what Fryke and I were talking about! Supposedly is the next rumored Mac for the Xserve family of solutions and for that purpose the thing we see in that pic is somewhat ok :D ;)

:)

Originally posted by fryke
You all might gonna hate me for this, but I'd actually like that design for an Xstation. Clean, lean, mean. Just a box. If it's the right materials, it'll look sleek, I think.

Of course, it also seems strange to me that it doesn't have a second bay. But then again, I guess most people don't really want a DVD-R(W) _and_ another optical drive. (What for, anyway? Direct CD copying?)

Not only direct CD copying but DVD too! Or another DVD technology like DVD-RAM and/or other DVD competing technologies...

But don't forget this scenario also... PowerMac at first buy with Combo Drive and not SuperDrive!

What's the point of having a tower if all your other optical/magnetic devices are external? Just to stock 2 or 3 internal hard disks? No way! I hope that Apple will include at least 2 bays for 5.25" devices! :(

Back