Is this true about iPod??

cbmeeks

Registered
I heard that iPod ONLY plays music downloaded from iTunes. Is this true?

I mean, I just recently started getting music legally (yes, I know). I have purchased about 20 songs maybe but have 4,000 in my collection.

I started downloading MP3's back in the mid-late 90s before we knew it was "wrong".

Anyway, I am hinting at the iPod nano for xmas but if it will only play the 20 songs I have purchased, then I am screwed. I mean, out of the 4000 songs I have, I personally only listen to about 100-500 of them (the rest are TV shows, comedy shows, music downloaded by other people, etc).

Thanks!

cbmeeks

The iPod plays any MP3, but if you have DRM'd WMA's purchased from Rhapsody, Napster, etc, iTunes won't load them onto your iPod. You'd have to find a way to convert them (not easy...) to AAC or MP3.

Oh, ok. Since I have NEVER bought music from anyone but iTunes, I should be ok?

I mean, I downloaded hard for like 4 years until about 2001. Then, I just stopped for a long time, then, got into iTunes recently.

So, I guess I am good.

cbmeeks said:
Oh, ok. Since I have NEVER bought music from anyone but iTunes, I should be ok?
Yep -- if your collection consists of regular MP3 files and files purchased from the iTunes Music Store, then the iPod will play all of them.

Yeah, have you ever notice that everyone out there is labeled the next "iPod Killer".

I mean, when's the last time you heard the phrase: "the next DJ Ditty Killer"....LMAO

Face it Dell (and everyone else), Apple has style.

cbmeeks

Dell's DJ is extremely popular (behind the iPod still, of course) at my university. I had a fellow student ask me which one I would recommend to a strictly PC-person -- either the DJ or the iPod. He ended up getting a 30GB iPod photo upon my recommendation and has never been happier with it...

...now if I could just turn him on to GOOD music instead of the crap he puts on there... ;)

I was curious about the Dell DJs, as they look like the only one that is built better than other competitors (not including the iPod since I personally believe it is THE best player. I love my iPod mini. :D). I think the "DJ Ditty" could have had a better name than that, but that's my opinion. Of course, When Puff Daddy changed his name to P. Diddy I thought that was ridiculous too. For the record, I don't listen to his music. :p

Mind you, I have never actually USED the Dell players, so it's possible that they are a bit on the crappy side. But from what I have heard from other users that own it, they are happy with it. Personally, I don't think it holds a candle to the iPods. ;)

Back