Is this what intel showed jobs?

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
Found this and thought it might be something worth a read.
could this be what jobs saw? some cool stuff there. dual core laptops, 8 core cpu's. the possibilities are endless. if this is intel's plan, then apple has some great macs coming.

Cool information, but until I see what prices an 8 core CPU has, I'm not expecting it in a consumer product for at least 4 years.

Well, yes. It's been clear since Steve Jobs said it (and even before that) that intel would focus on performance/power-useage and make the Pentium-M the basis of its overall processor strategy (ditch the whole Pentium 4 development). Yonah is the first fruit of this change in path, Merom will be the first desktop variant. More cores: Why not. As long as it makes sense...

wow, great stuff in there. Can't wait :D , like i said about the transition, i wanted to know the end result before the transistion so i would be more comfortable around it, but i'm not getting a mac desktop anytime soon :mad:

What exactly makes you angry now? That the future's so far away? Hm. I also don't know what 'desktop' machine you're eyeing... The Mac mini, I'd get when it's new. Sure, they get old, too, but you can replace them rather cheaply.

havent figured that part out yet fryke. It's something for my "Design" studio down in my parents basement, probably 2007 i'll be getting the computer, cause next year i'm getting a Nikon D50 & a Canon i9900 for the studio.

I was looking at a 20" iMac, the basement floods every-once and a while (not that often, but if it does not fun to clean up), and havin a old Powermac G4 or used G5 on the ground and if it floods...i would kill this was it will fit on the desk and no problems

Hmm... Then I'd seriously think about getting a Mac mini (intel) and a good display. Keep the display, and update the mini from time to time. cheap upgrade path...

Initial price is not even the main argument for me. But since you're going to invest in external devices like FW-harddrives, iPods etc. anyway, I think it's best to have a small replaceable desktop computer like the mini... The iMac, when it gets old, is a huge waste of money in my opinion. The 17": Okay. But to pay for a 20" monitor that you can't sell/use separately later when the computer inside the iMac is old... If I were a desktop user (I use notebooks), I'd go with the mini-upgrade-plan (you gotta make that up yourself...). Everytime Apple releases a new Mac mini, you can sell your old. The price difference won't be that much. Or you can even keep the old one for a different use.

fryke said:
The iMac, when it gets old, is a huge waste of money in my opinion. The 17": Okay. But to pay for a 20" monitor that you can't sell/use separately later when the computer inside the iMac is old... If I were a desktop user (I use notebooks), I'd go with the mini-upgrade-plan (you gotta make that up yourself...).
My main argument against this particular plan would be that the Mini is a pretty low power computer, while the iMac at least has pretty decent specs when it comes to processor speed, etc. Now if you're used to using iBooks all the time then a Mini would certainly be no big change, but the difference between the performance of an iMac and a Mini is fairly significant.

But after a year or two, the iMac is rather slow, whereas the shiny new Mac mini is not only fast, but also has that lovely new-computer smell. ;) ... See: I hope (for Apple) that there are enough people still buying iMacs. I mean: They're great machines, very beautifully designed and all, but I _personally_ hope that the minis are taking over the iMac's spot one day.

I just gotta see when the time comes, hopefully i will be getting it 2007 at the latest, hopefully as a graduation gift. Or as a first real job gift for myself :D

A brand new Mac mini today may be a great machine, but if I had bought an iMac two years ago I certainly wouldn't have much inclination to buy a Mac mini today. Setting aside the question of the included display v. buying a new one, the Mac mini of today is not significantly faster or better than a two year old iMac. After eighteen to twenty-four months of Mac mini ownership I probably would be looking to get another one, whereas I can see keeping my current iMac for three to four years. I'm not saying that the Mac mini is a bad computer because I certainly don't think it is, but if anything it has to be equated with an iBook, not an iMac.

There's the other consideration, too, of the software I want to be able to run. As you may have picked up from another thread I am an Aperture user, and Aperture simply won't run on a Mac mini. In fact, I bought the iMac based on being the best computer that I could afford and that would run that software.

I don't think that the mini will take the place of the iMac... the iMac is an all-in-one computer, great for both switchers and new computer owners. The mini is only good for switchers, as the new computer owners would have to add a monitor and keyboard/mouse, which they'll probably buy from Apple as well. That would bring the price up to the price of an iMac, and for the money, the iMac is a MUCH more powerful computer. New computer owners are not likely to purchase a mini from Apple, a monitor from somewhere else and a keyboard/mouse from yet somewhere else -- they're likely to look for the whole package in one location.

In my opinion, the "mini" is the bait, and the iMac is the "hook." $500 initially for the mini and the Mac OS X experience, and then they pop for a more powerful Macintosh computer (like the iMac) a year or two later. I think the mini will be here to stay as an independent Apple computer (not replacing any current model) simply to entice those that find the cost of Apple computer prohibitive.

I'm not sold on the mini. It's not currently a powerful enough machine to be suitable for much of anything. I mean, I wouldn't even want to manage an iPhoto library on it. To be fair, I'm only basing this on my few minutes of playing at the Apple store coupled with comparisons to my similarly equipped iBook.

Now the current iMacs are actually usable production machines. I wouldn't necessarily center my Final Cut staff on the iMac, but it would make a great design machine, web development station or even video editing if need be. In that sense, since you can actually get work done on the iMac, it pays for itself, therefore it has MUCH more value (in a business environment at least)than a mini would.

How the heck did this thread turn from the future Intel plans/chips, to my future Mac Desktop chips. I really would love to get one right away (next year) but it all depends on how much i have set aside. If i get at least 2000 back in 2007 for my taxes, definitaly. Rev C iMac x86 probably :D once all the apps are updated and i'm finally done with school :)

Well, there's only _so_ much to discuss about future intel chips. And since we're discussing their influence on future Mac desktops, that's where it's going naturally. :) ...

Hm. _My_ choice will be between Rev. A/B iBooks/PowerBooks, I guess... I hope we'll see them soon.

Apple's new Intel-based laptop computers will be produced by Quanta and Asustek for ibook and Powerbook.. Not bad idea!

Back