Is using the Migration Assistant a mistake? My MBP seems slow...

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
I just upgraded from a 17" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 1.5GB of RAM to a 17" 2.33 C2D MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM.

Normally when I buy a new mac, I go with a fresh account and migrate all of my documents by hand. In this case I used the migration assistant and let it transfer everything except my Applications via FireWire (I wanted to re-download all of my apps since most of them need to be upgraded to be universal binary).

I was amazed, it's like I never left my old machine. Literally. You might think that's a good thing - and it would be, except it's just about as slow as my old machine too.

My new machine is no where nearly as fast as the ones I've used in the store. I'm wondering if my 3+ years of crap that accumulated on my old powerbook is somehow bogging it down...

Activity monitor shows low CPU usage, and I have a lot of Inactive RAM... Hard disk is only 50% full.

I think when Leopard comes out I'm going to format and install from scratch rather than upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Try to use a new "Test User" new account and use that (for testing). See if it speeds up then because I think it maybe a memory leak on something you brought over.

I can't help but wonder if Spotlight is arbitrarily attempting to index that 50+ GB of extra crap... maybe that is what's slowing it down. When I get my MacBook Pro in the next couple weeks, I'm doing a completely clean install: 1. Because it *feels* new and 2. Because I don't want my old crap hogging space/resources

No, it's not spotlight. Everything is already indexed.

My system resources all look fine, but the machine just acts sluggish. When I restart my machine it takes about 45 - 60 seconds to boot. When I click on Safari after the reboot it bounces 7 - 8 times before launching. When I tried this on the MBP in the store, it rebooted in 25 - 35 seconds and Safari launched on two bounces.

I can't help but think are you going to just sit there and not troubleshoot the machine. Like I said using a test user account you could see if it is the machine or your User account. I say this because with a new machine acting like this, testing will give you more ammunition to take it back because it does not sound right.

Back