Isight Setup Issues

shollinshead

Registered
I'm trying to install our new isight webcam and it doesn't seem to be taking. We're running OSX 10.2.8 on an iMac which has iChat, and so my understanding is that the webcam should almost launch itself in conjunction with iChat. However, I'm not finding any recognition of it by the computer anywhere. I don't see it as plugged in to the firewire port according to the Apple System Profiler (it is plugged in), and I'm not getting the camera icons in iChat that the iSight instruction manual suggests I should.

The only sign of life I've gotten from the camera is that the little green light that indicates operation does briefly flash on when I wake the computer up from it being asleep. So as far as I can tell, the camera works/is alive, but the computer isn't recognizing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sarah

Are you running the iChat AV software? It is required (and not included) for video chat with the iSight.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the info:
http://www.apple.com/isight/

Of course, the link to the iChat AV software simply leads to a page where you can purchase Mac OS X 10.4... it looks like you might have to upgrade to use the iSight with iChat, unless someone else has a suggestion.

It might be a good time to upgrade your system -- Mac OS X 10.2.x is getting long in the tooth and, much like 10.0.x and 10.1.x, will be hard to find good software support for in the future.

Back