Issue trying to restore an eMac

makingmoves

Registered
Hello! I have a 1.2ghz eMac that I am trying to completely restore. I have both the Mac OS X discs (2) and the Software Restore Discs (3). It is my understanding I have to use the Software Restore discs to restore all the Apple applications and Classic 9, then use the Mac OS X discs to upgrade to OS X. Is this correct if I want to do a full restore?

Either way, upon using the software restore disc, I am unable to open softwarerestore.pkg. I had to use Pacifist to re-install the Installer App from the Mac OS X disc. It gave me a checksum error but installed anyways. When I double click softwarerestore.pkg, the installer app opens, but nothing happens.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

So I figured out I do need the Mac OS install discs, but my discs are for Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3.9 is installed on the machine. The eMac originally came with 9.2.2.

I bought a firewire cd rom to see if I could get that to boot the mac os x disc but it wouldn't.

If you have a 1.25 GHz eMac, then the 10.2.x boot CD will be too old. That model eMac would have originally shipped with at least OS X 10.3.3, and older versions of OS X will not boot your eMac.
That would also likely explain why you can't boot from your external FW optical drive.
You will need to find the original disks that came with your eMac, or something newer than 10.3.3
Also, your eMac would have had Classic (9.2.2) environment - to allow use of older software, but your model of eMac won't actually boot from OS 9.

Very interesting DeltaMac. I extremely appreciate your reply. Looks like I will have to call apple and see about ordering some replacement discs. Hand me down computers hold ture to the saying; nothing is ever really free.

Back