It's HERE: iPod

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Hmmm... no details yet, something about a MP3 player with a hard-drive... not impressed yet... but haven't seen it either.

Apple introduces iPod, a digital audio player (MP3, MP2) with a 5GB hard drive (1000 songs). 20 minute skip protection. FireWire-equipped, first such music player.

10 hour battery, lithium-polymar ("most advanced battery; more advanced than laptop batteries"), takes 1 hour to charge.

Size of a deck of cards: 2.4" wide, 4" tall, 3/4" thick.

Backlit LCD display, playlist support, ID3 tag support, very fast and easy to go through list of songs and playlist. Interfaces with iTunes.

Backlit LCD display, playlist support, ID3 tag support, very fast and easy to go through list of songs and playlist. Interfaces with iTunes.

And my girlfriend has just bought me an mp3 player which is bound to be cheaper!

Classic woman move there, should've seen it coming:(

How on earth is this a <b>"breakthrough digital device?"</b>

I certainly hope there is more to it than this.

FaRuvius

I think its a neat idea... not sure why Apple had to be the first with this... I think we can say that our expectations was not meant. Of course... I'm sure we will all want one needless to say.

Now... if it had a broadcaster in it that I can turn it to a certain channel on my stereo (home or car) and it broadcasted through that, now that would be awesome. :)

I wonder if it ONLY has firewire... and not USB? If it doesn't support USB... then no "Windows" user is going to want it... unless they want to purchase a firewire card.

Originally posted by Admin
I think its a neat idea... not sure why Apple had to be the first with this... I think we can say that our expectations was not meant. Of course... I'm sure we will all want one needless to say.

Now... if it had a broadcaster in it that I can turn it to a certain channel on my stereo (home or car) and it broadcasted through that, now that would be awesome. :)

I wonder if that's going to be one of job's signature ... "oh yea, and one more thing" announcements.

iTunes 2 announced. MP3 CD burning (doesn't convert to AIFF audio CD format), cross fading, equalizer are the three main new features. Free download, available in early November

A brodcaster would be very cool.

I wonder though, since a 5 gig hd in a mp3 player isn't new, maybe the playlist support is bad ass, some sort of database based system that can sort based on the number of times you have played a song, etc. I have seen it done before on linux but it would be cool in a hand held device.

iTunes 2 announced. MP3 CD burning (doesn't convert to AIFF audio CD format), cross fading, equalizer are the three main new features. Free download, available in early November

Wonder if this means you won't be able to burn CDs for regular playback in stereos, or if they've added the mp3 format in addition.. ?

Originally posted by Jadey

Wonder if this means you won't be able to burn CDs for regular playback in stereos, or if they've added the mp3 format in addition.. ?

I wondered the same thing myself, I am sure they meant to say it has added support for it...

Back