It's The End Of The World As We Know It

Status
Not open for further replies.

pismo

Registered
Just in case Apple does the unthinkable I think this is an appropriate title.

I call BS. At least for the existing computer line. Maybe a new device using one of Intel's XScale processors but never a Pentium! Tablet, PDA, iPhone, video iPod...? Who knows!

I call it too. If anything, Intel will be building the same chips we're currently using. I sure hope so anyway - Apple might not be able to survive another platform 'flip'.

People have suggested Apple might take the G5 to Intel but I can't imagine anyone being able to develop it any better than IBM. They built a new billion dollar fab just for the production of Power4 based chips. Intel would not make that kind of investment just for Apple.

I just read that Steve Jobs confirmed that in one (6th July 2006) the first Mac powered by Intel processors will be shipped.

This is pretty sick. It's hard to imagine a Intel powered Mac. For the last decade we've been brainwashed to believe the PowerPC is superior to anything Intel could ever create. I keep thinking of that G3 commercial with the Pentium II space guy on fire. The G5 was a huge letdown. The Virginia Tech super cluster and everything else made us believe the G5 was so superior and now Steve pulls a 360 on us. Wow.

OMG its true the world is coming to an end as we know it. when the best golfer is black, the best rapper is white, Microsoft is switching to PowerPC and Apple is switching to Intel, the end is near. Today is a sad day indeed.

If IBM could keep up with the G5 development and create a mobile version, then yes it would be better, but IBM can't do that. That's why Intel is taking over. It will be so much better for Apple in the long run, and plus they'll be able to compete directly with M$.

Isn't it ironic that IBM makes these desktop/server powerhouse CPUs, Motorola focuses on embedded chips, yet they can't get together to make a decent mobile PPC chip?

I'll admit I tend to be unsupportive, and call bull on a lot of Jobs' speeches and promises... but I'm genuinely suprised and disappointed by this news. I was sooo not expecting this. And right now I hope MacWorld's live update is just deceiving me.

cfleck said:
That really pissed me off
You'd rather go nowhere with the PPC from IBM then get faster procs with Intel? Intel and Apple know what they're doing. IBM obviously doesn't...

There is a developer kit that includes a 3.6 GHx Pentium 4 Mac. They will have to be returned by the end of 2006. They will be priced at US$999, and please note that these are for developers only.

So let me get this straight. IBM and Apple go nowhere for whatever reason, but clearly Intel and Apple have got this right? Isn't that what everyone said when they went with IBMa couple of years ago?

Also, in 5 years, this won't be an issue for me, as I'll have moved on and bought all new software. But right now I own MS Office and was seriously considering purchasing Adobe CS2. However, I didn't plan on upgrading those for a long while. Now if I get a new machine in the next couple of years, I'll have to.

THAT pisses me off.

Just to spark some thought, how many times have you hear that half the problem with windows is all the shitty hardware that is made and available at Wal-Mart. Guess what? Now every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be flooding these forums trying to get their ACME Joystick Memory Pad RAID device to work and causing all sorts of fits for OS X. What else is nice is that you will probably be one of them. Right now we are spoiled by a plethora of quality hardware, but at a premium. How much more tempted will you be to try out that Wacom knock-off when it is $20?

I wish I had bookmarked it, but not long ago I read an article talking about a number of the problems with Windows being due to its attachment to x86. I don't know the specifics, as I didn't care at the time, but the jist was that the buffer overflows and other exploits are unique to x86 because of the architecture. Here comes the virus software!

Rock on!

kainjow said:
You'd rather go nowhere with the PPC from IBM then get faster procs with Intel? Intel and Apple know what they're doing. IBM obviously doesn't...

Are you sure about that??

At the WWDC when the G5 was first released, everyone was excited because we thought the SAME thing! That IBM knew what it was doing (compared to Moto.) They told us how in a year we'd be at 3 GHz. Sounded good. Everyone sipped the koolaid and all was good.

Now two years later, we're told that Intel is the way to go. I'm just waiting for the days when programmers decide, "F**K PPC users, too much work to tweak/recompile. We'll only release an Intel version."

It'll be interesting to see when they remove their charts from their website showing the G5 running 50 - 90% faster than a P4.

cfleck said:
Just to spark some thought, how many times have you hear that half the problem with windows is all the shitty hardware that is made and available at Wal-Mart. Guess what? Now every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be flooding these forums trying to get their ACME Joystick Memory Pad RAID device to work and causing all sorts of fits for OS X. What else is nice is that you will probably be one of them. Right now we are spoiled by a plethora of quality hardware, but at a premium. How much more tempted will you be to try out that Wacom knock-off when it is $20?
Guess what? Look in this very forum itself and see how many Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to get a piece of hardware working in OSX. You're being a bit naive if you really think there's a quality difference between Mac/PC hardware. Logic board problems, laptop screens going wacky, cooling fans on the fritz, battery recalls... it happens to all computer makers. Apple isn't immune.

The only fundamental difference between any hardware or peripheral made for either Mac or PC, is the drivers. With the exception of video cards, thanks to the video BIOS. But what if this might mean we get new video cards - and even pro ones like Quadro and FireGL and Wildcats - at the same rate as PCs?

So crappy hardware and peripherals are EVERYWHERE. Just because it says Mac compatible on the box does not make it immaculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back