itune help or itune alternative?

morning

supernew
sorry, one more question. I am really unused to itunes.
In my pc, on musicmatch, i can scroll through my music library, and just click on any song i want to hear, and it will automatically be placed next in line on the current playlist. so this way i can set up the next 20 or 40 songs or whatever. in itunes it just plays songs in the order of the library or i have to drag everything to a new playlist first. can i set it up to respond like the musicmatch? or can i istall musicmatch on my mac? (i'd rather not not, musicmatch kind of stinks otherwise)
the smart list looks interesting, but i don't think that it accomodates how i listen to my music. i jump around through genres and artists. and i have a very diverse library.
can anyone help me? i am so unfamiliar with the itunes interface.
I probably am missing something, because it is otherwise a very intuitive program.

is there some reason that no one will answer this question?
does everyone else just listen to their music in alphabetical order?

AFAIK, there's no way to do that in iTunes. Write to Apple that you request this as a feature. Kind of: On-the-go playlist for iTunes or something. I guess it's just that you're used to this feature from the other app, but iTunes never really thought of working this way... There are, of course, tons of other ways to listen to your music in iTunes. (Smart playlists are really fun, btw.) :)

There is a work-around. Create a playlist. Add your first song to it. Then, double click it in your new playlist. Now, go back to your library and add things to the new playlist as you like.

Sorry. It's not exactly the same, but it's a workaround that will get the improvised-playlist kind of behavior you're looking for.

... which would _kinda_ be the *exact* opposite of what the user wants in the first place, sirstaunch. ;)

huh... you are making this very difficult for this poor soul.

Well, just like in musicmatch... create a new playlist call it whatever you want "new playlist" Then go into your library of songs and right click on the song you want in the new playlist which brings up contextual menu and then choose playlist and choose your playlist very simple(if you don't have a two button mouse you have to use the control key) So, instead of two clicks in music match you can actually use one click and you get to choose which playlist you want to put it in. I used my dell and did a test... created 3 playlists and picked 28 songs to put in the playlists. From creating to filling up the playlists with the songs I wanted I was able to do it 12 seconds quicker using itunes then musicmatch. Just using one playlist and 15 songs musicmatch won by 1 second.

right clicking is very cumbersome on my laptop. and anyway, right-clicking to get that menu, then having to open the sub menu of the playlists is WAY more work than just dragging each file. it is still way harder because of the laptop thing, I guess I have to get used to plugging my little mouse in more, although i am usually using it on my lap, so that is not really possible.
What I was describing in musicmatch was the way that when i am flipping through my music library, not even my musicmatch library, just my main music file,(remember those yellow files) I could just click on any song and it would be placed next in sequence in the musicmatch playlist. you could literally click a whack of songs quickly and return to what you were doing, l had a playlist with a few hundred songs in it after a while, cool for going away for the weekend...

:)

That's exactly what the party shuffle option does!!

You ctrl+click on any song and choose "Play next in Party Shuffle", and that will "queue-up" the song, ready to be played next. You can add to the bottom of the queue with the "Add to Party Shuffle". If you leave it to play through all the songs you've queued, it'll go back to choosing random songs. You can also move songs around once they're queued-up to change their play order.

Back