itunes 4.1 quicktime 6.4

Something just occurred to me, which is great. Because iTunes for Windows will most likely be very popular, a nice side effect is that, because it requires QuickTime, Windows Media Player and related technology will take a hit in its growing dominance. Yeah! For the Windows folks who have yet to get QuickTime, iTunes is a nice "in".

That's important to me because I do a lot of QT development and it's really irritating seeing an inferior technology (and one not based on standards) start to take over.

I am using the Windows version at work right now.....awesome!

Later,
Eddie

now, why do I have to reboot after every lil update, apple? java, quicktime... why can't apple just restart the appropriate service, not the whole system?

I know I can bypass pressing the reboot button, but still, I wanna install technologies and use them without rebooting :)

A lot of these updates that require reboots are either:

- Kernel Recompiles
- Frameworks that aren't "restartable"

Quicktime isn't a process running on your machine, it is a framework for applications. Frameworks need to be loaded into the dynamic linker, and apparently they haven't gotten a good way to get the dynamic linker to dynamically recognize dynamic libraries.

iTunes on windows is off the hook ....

not too surprised, it's just like the one on my mac and it's by apple, of course

Have been browsing the Books and music from the PC at work. Awesome job Apple!! Pity I'm in Europe and can't buy any of this yet, but this is a really professional package and should take the Windows users by storm.

omg, you guys don't understand how great this is for a poor, mortal windows user as me. i am so happy.

e: if only the music store would work in germany....

It's so nice to have iTunes on my XP machine at work. Now can I sync my Mac iPod with my Windows box? Can you now sync iPods with Mac or Windows?

I got a guy at work to install it and he downloaded a CD in no time. He was a little scared to get an account only because it was to easy and he'd go broke. :D But then he decided he'd make more money eventually. He also burnt a CD and was so happy when the icon opened up and turned into that burn icon and then spun. It was so funny!!

Heh, you guys had to restart? Funny, I installed 4.1 from the web (mac upgrade here), and no restart was required.

:)

I wonder if I might be able to download iTunes for Windows and install it on the PC I use at work to run the bumper car music. They might not like that...

It supports WMA's, right?

Ditto on the no-restart for iTunes only, unlike past versions. They must have made changes to allow that to happen...

Upgraded my iTunes....pity....I still miss the purple icon from v3.

Also installed it on my brother's Toshiba laptop (WinXP). Cool....now when I turn on my sharing, he can stream from my QS933! :->

I know....Jobs did it better, wirelessly, but hey!

MikeXpop, legacyb4: the restart is only needed for quicktime upgrade not for iTunes. iTunes works here without restarting too.

Back