itunes 4.1 quicktime 6.4

Originally posted by mindbend
[Bbecause it requires QuickTime, Windows Media Player and related technology will take a hit in its growing dominance. Yeah! For the Windows folks who have yet to get QuickTime, iTunes is a nice "in".

That's important to me because I do a lot of QT development and it's really irritating seeing an inferior technology (and one not based on standards) start to take over. [/B]

Windows Media Player is the dominant player because it ships with every copy of Windows. One might argue to "dominance" of the codecs but what's "best" today gets overtaken tomorrow, ad infinitum. Market share is what dominates, even to the extent of inferiority. For example, portable and in-dash CD players will play WM and MP3 files - they don't play QT.

I can't imagine much of a dent in WMP just because of iTunes. At least it will get folks to install QT under Windows. I install QT under Windows because the "best" movie trailers are encoded using it. Otherwise, I'd have no use for it in Windows.

With the launch of MusicMatch's on-line music service, it'll show us whether people will download out of convenience (ie: MusicMatch's WM) or out of coolness (iTunes).

Originally posted by dlloyd
But, strangely, the new iTunes version doesn't seem to work with themes...

Apple hacked the 'brushed metal' into iTunes and Quicktime Player, and aren't about to remove the hacks. It is just more expensive to make them standard than to continue tweaking the hack whenever something changes, at this point.

I would like to see them move more towards standard Window APIs, but I seriously doubt they will do that this late in the game.

Back