iTunes [4.9] ate my album art!

tkdragon

Registered
I searched here first and I couldn't find anyone else who has had this problem, or perhaps it just didn't bother them enough to make a new post.

When I upgraded my iTunes to 4.9 when it came out, I noticed that a good number of my albums now had their album art evaporated. On the albums in question, when I click on the track, instead of seeing the album art, I see a white square with the words "Album Artwork Not Modifiable" in gray. I remember seeing this message when trying to view album covers when listening to my Shared Music on a networked computer.

Hopefully the artwork is still "there," just not "visible."

Anyone with this problem found a solution?

Hello? I know I'm not alone in this predicament. A few other people I've talked to have encountered this as well. Maybe everyone on this forum is immune? :p

Oh, and another problem is the new iTunes seems to buffer songs over 4 minutes long to a point where 10 seconds into the song, the CPU usage goes up to 100%, the song stops for a second, then plays normally. I suppose no one else has encountered this either :rolleyes:

From MacFixIt.com:

Unexpected, repeated stalls A number of users are reporting an issue where iTunes 4.9 repeatedly stalls while playing music. In the most common cases, the entire system becomes unresponsive for several seconds and music stops playing. In less common cases, music play continues but the iTunes user interface is frozen for 30 seconds to one minute.

For many users, the stall is accompanied by a sharp spike iTunes' processor usage, which can be seen in Process Viewer (located in Applications/Utilities).

In some cases, this issue can be solved by selecting all of the tracks in your iTunes library then using the command "Convert ID3 Tags" in the "Advanced" menu to set ID3 tags at version 2.3.

In more drastic cases, you may need to re-build your iTunes library by quitting iTunes if it is open, then deleting the following files from the folder ~/Music/iTunes (~ indicates your current user home directory):

iTunes 4 Music Library
iTunes Music Library.xml
and the following files from the folder ~/Library/Preferences

com.apple.iTunes.plist
com.apple.iTunes.[various numbers].plist
com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
You will now need launch iTunes then either select from the prompt, or drag to the main window your iTunes music library folder, located at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music, rebuilding the Library index file.

thanks to a friend who was having the same problem and he figured it out, i can now fix the suspect MP3s.

it happens when itunes mistakes an mp3 file for a quicktime movie file because of type/creator codes.

the solution?

you download a type/creator manipulation app (i use Quick Change), and simply delete the type/creator info from the boxes and leave them blank. using the batch button for folders (albums) is quite handy.

hope this helps someone else.

In more drastic cases, you may need to re-build your iTunes library by quitting iTunes if it is open, then deleting the following files from the folder ~/Music/iTunes (~ indicates your current user home directory):

iTunes 4 Music Library
iTunes Music Library.xml
and the following files from the folder ~/Library/Preferences

I'd sooner die than delete those files! 3,000 songs, each with their own rating...I could never be bothered going though that again lol! I think I'll stick with iTunes 4.8 to be sure that won't ever be necessary!

Back