iTunes 5 Rumor

support for WMA doesn't mean that apple will USE it... iTunes store will ALWAYS be AAC Exclusively, which is the only thing that counts anyways...

I think it makes sense to include wma support for the win version, since pc users may have a ton of wma files. If I was someone who had never used a mac or itunes before, maybe someone who didn't care about the differences between formats and OS's, I'd be pissed if I tried to play a wma that worked before, and didn't work in the new app I had just downloaded. "iTunes is cool, but....it doesn't even play wma's". Don't let them export to wma, but at least let them play them so they don't have to have two apps for music, or convert a ton of files or something.

I bet the new iTunes will support WMA playback (for those windows users who have those files), but not actually natively encode to WMA. This is a way to support playback of those files while still promoting the AAC format.

Or, at least, that's how I think it SHOULD be.

The problem is licensing. Nothing stops Apple from including WMA support except fees that MS is likely to extract from them.

What about .shn support?? I have tons of live shows that are compressed .wavs in .shn format. Winamp has a 3rd party plugin for .shn playback, I would love something for iTunes, and possibly my iPod.
-Doofy

Looks like I was wrong. I thought for sure iTunes for Windows would support WMA. I'm glad it doesn't frankly. I guess Apple always has it as an ace-in-the-hole (adding WMA support) if iTunes doesn't catch on as quickly as they anticipate.

Back