iTunes 5

Has anyone in looked in the itunes.rsc file!? There is a icon of the new flash based ipod mini. There is a iPod coloured one, and a black U2-ish looking one though the click wheel is grey. They both have coloured screens too.

EDIT: Haha i just realised the released the ipod Nano. Man i need to read this forum more.

iTunes 5 is much more snappier on my machine at present anyhow, AND STILL NO AUSSIE STORE!!!!!!

I can't even podcast until we have it, come one ARIA's you won against Kazaa, now give us the honest way, stop messing about.....

The search/filter response is faster on my slow iBook, but the GUI is still slow (OS X's problem on old boxes, not iTunes).

I'm ambivalent to the overall look. Just like I've always been toward brushed metal. In general I accept it because it's very clean and functional and the bland grays do not fight with other intra-page design. I actually like this look the best over brushed metal and "Mail". Who knows, maybe the iTunes 5 style IS the new look that will migrate to the other apps. I have no problem with that as I agree that it would be nice to be more consistent.

I don't know that this warrants a 5.0 number, but whatever.

You people are really irritating to read. I remember now why I stopped coming in here under my old name GroundZeroX. You guys are always looking to complain about something really stupid. "We hate brushed metal! Apple must eliminate all signs of brushed metal" So Apple CLEARLY starts to show signs of removing brushed metal and we hear "OMG Apple is so stupid, they have a new GUI, and we are going to be stupid and call it a fourth one even though it is basically a gray unified look, lets all make stupid comments now" Apple is probably going to end up putting everything in a unified/Aqua style thing and kill off Brushed Metal. But hey, instead of saying stuff that makes sense. Lets all vent, and make up really ridiculous comments.

I just want to say one thing. When Brushed Metal first came out, it was God Awful. I personally absolutely hated it with a passion. But through steady and careful revisions, and etc Brushed Metal turned into something that I actually came to like. I am sure that is arguable, but let me say this. Considering this is a reasonably new start on a new type of interface that is CLEARLY going to end up replacing Metal in all Metal apps, it looks a lot better then the first Quicktime 4, and I think with more improvements it will be great.

I have my own complaint about it. I don't like the volume to the right, but it definitely not the end of the world. Some things irk me about it, but I see it as a great change. Because as of Leopard, everything Metal will probably take this new interface, and I am all for it. I'm kinda tired of Metal personally. It makes everything it is on seem kind of "heavy" in a way. I don't know how to explain it.

Anyway, you group of whiners have got me to the point where I will probably leave for another like 6 months. No matter what Apple does, you guys will sit around and complain.

VigilantX: it's one thing to say that it's stupid to complain about inconsistency. It's another thing to just sit idly by and let the company that sets an interface example for all other developers just flagrantly ignore their OWN HIG time and time again!

I feel that the reason for the new look is almost certainly due to PC users. In Windows, iTunes needs to render the brushed metal look itself (it's not embedded in the OS; though I've seen things in the skinning world which imply that it's rendered by iTunes on OS X too). A simple gradient is a whole lot easier to render internally than a gradient with a noise-map/filter over the top. Should mean interface responsiveness improves on both platforms.

So I understand it, but don't excuse it. I think it's one thing to introduce this new unified menu bar appearance in Tiger: it's clearly directly referencing Aqua; and evolution. I don't understand why it isn't implemented in EVERY Aqua window in Tiger, though. I don't mind evolution. I don't like segregation and inconsistency.

I don't even mind if brushed metal is replaced with this new style, and iChat windows lose those little bits of metal along the edges, Address Book too, but release it as an update to EVERY BRUSHED METAL PROGRAM (probably in an OS update 10.4.3?): iChat, Safari, Address Book, everything. Just replace the Brushed Metal texturing APIs completely, or whatever. I don't mind change, just not inconsistency.

sirstaunch said:
AND STILL NO AUSSIE STORE!!!!!!

Yeah! what's up with that? and nearly everywhere you go people have an iPods waiting for the iTMS. the trains and cities are full of them.

I reckon! Everyone has iPods in Brisbane, everywhere you go your bound to see one. Also there is still no iPhoto photo album purchasing from Australia. I mean Australia is getting pretty much filled up with Apple hardware, when are they going to support us.

I must agree that the interface is much snappier. But those window edges... Really: Yet another new look simply wasn't needed. :/

I've just downloaded the Windows version at work, and one thing I've noticed is that it's alot more 'Mac like' than the previous version. With the new interface and an Aqua scroll bar down the side rather than the standard Windows one.

It's probably a very good way of getting Windows users more comfortable with the Mac look and feel.

i think jonparadise has hit the nail on the head.

it looks like apple have melded a few interface designs together from OSX - and in my eyes they've made a very effiecient, elegant design the very fact that windows users will now get a very slick looking itunes that has Apple OS X written all over it rather than Microsoft Windows means they'll get a better taste of what OS X is all about. It's all part of the 'switch' mentallity. If there is a halo effect of the ipod - then itunes is the bridge that unifies the two platforms.

the only problem i have is that the corners of itunes are neither here nor there - are they curved or not? if the interface looks very AppleMail.app =- then put a little more curve on the corners! it feels as though apples various software departments need to sit down - look at the elements from each app that work - unify those elements and then go back and re-jig the apps.

...why - if safari only has three diagional lines in its bottom left corner to 'pull out' the window' does itunes 5 need four?... that sort of thing irks me... its the tiny elements that need nailing that'll bring it all together.

also - just to get back to what i said about a software update for ipod photos... the new ipod nano has a few neat features that i'd like on my 40gb. amongst them -

1) the ability to sync to outlook for contacts etc on a windows machine
2) world clock! -
3) a screen lock - that requires a user defined pin number to unlock the ipod.

i've just found that ALL of my podcasts have been put into my main library!

what gives? i dont want them there!!! now they get played when i dont want them o... i'll have to either delete them or go through and uncheck every single one!

so.. when is iTunes 5.0.1 coming out...

TexanPenguin: So, just to make sure I'm getting this straight. To sit around in a board and complain all day in the boards and complain like a bunch of 14 year old school girls about every thing, and anything Apple does is taking an active role in ensuring Apple is on the right track? Wow, My eyes have been opened! I didn't realizing whining about a problem that is slowly getting fixed was so powerful!

You've obviously never worked on software before. I believe that all the iApps and anything with brushed metal WILL be transfered over to the new look, and this change had absolutely nothing to do with Windows at all, and to think so is naive. The new look is essentially a grayed version of the Mail.app, which ISN'T on Windows, so there goes that excuse. It is for useability. Designing user interfaces that are new, yet still familiar takes time, and needs to be fine tuned to make sure that it isn't done purely for eye candy and doesn't hurt your eyes after extended use. Apple is going to do it, but when they are ready, and no amount of whining on your part, or anyone elses will change that. I know that you guys will pat yourselves on the back when you see everything else change over, thinking that maybe your constant complaining did something, but I assure you guys that that isn't the case.

On that note, I'm leaving you guys. I've visited your world once again in a search for intelligent life, and found that there isn't any. Just a constant need for diapers and bottles for each and every one of you babies.

VigilantX - i have no idea who you are - but if anyone has thrown their dummy out of the pram and had a good cry - its you.

you've lambasted others for complaining about itunes 5 - yet you are complaining about the complainers! the irony you carry on your shoulders must be quite a burden.

good day to you sir.

VigilantX: Read the board rules about flamewars.

On the _subject_ you're talking about: "Designing user interfaces that are new, yet still familiar takes time, and needs to be fine tuned to make sure that it isn't done purely for eye candy and doesn't hurt your eyes after extended use." - I agree, and I think most of the "complainers" here do, too. But we don't need the different work-stages to be released as final products! Mail.app looks like an interface in its alpha stages - and so does iTunes 5. What we - rightfully, in my opinion - expect from Apple is _finished_ designs that surprise us in their simplicity and beauty. Consistency is one of the key features Apple has put in their UI design work, but ever since Brushed Metal came along, Apple has failed its own goals and guidelines. They want other developers to adhere to their standards, yet they themselves break their own laws time and again. That _is_ a point where I expect people on Mac fora to express their negative feelings.

Your last post violated, I think, more than three points in the board rules, so I guess your last disappearance probably involved a ban. Again I urge you: Read the rules carefully, should you ever decide to come back.

Back