iTunes + cingular

Cingular can kiss my butt.

Had them once and will never ever go back to them. Their Customer Service is Horrible and their reception was horrible, and when i tried to cancel my plan AFTER my contract expired they gave me so much trouble.

Apple need to concentrate on computers, not the crap they're branching out to. iPod, end it there.

Have to wait and see if they add the phones to other carriers in the future. Limiting to one is kinda a stupid move, IMO. Especially Cingular...who's known as a company to stay away from if at all possible.

I guess the rest of us (Sprint-Nextel, Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile, etc.) will have to wait and see what comes down the line.

We are old AT&T Wireless customers who became Cingular customers (still on an AT&T Wireless plan right now). We have been planning on switching from Cingular for a long time now, and probably still will when our contract finally expires.

I would like to try out this phone, but I'm still very leary about giving Cingular any more of my money after they ported my phone number to a different account WITHOUT MY CONSENT OR ANY NOTIFICATION!!!! I was fortunate to get the number back after an hour on hold, but they refused to do anything special for me.

Above all, I want a phone that has friggin' reception. Bluetooth is number 2 in my list (for synching phone numbers with my computer).

mdnky said:
I guess the rest of us (Sprint-Nextel, Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile, etc.) will have to wait and see what comes down the line.

I doubt Verizon will have this phone because it [the ipod phone] would interfere with their Get it Now feature

RGrphc2 said:
I doubt Verizon will have this phone because it [the ipod phone] would interfere with their Get it Now feature

this is very true. and I hate that service too, I NEVER use it.

I'll admit when i first got my VZW phone i used Get it Now and downloaded a 2 or 3 ringtones and pacman.

Granted Verizon is expensive compared to the other services, but i like getting service in my house and not having to stand in the middle of my driveway to get service

Veljo said:
Apple need to concentrate on computers, not the crap they're branching out to. iPod, end it there.
I think this is a case of a market being there and the choice either being to jump in and compete or lose access to it entirely. With the iPod and especially the iTunes Music Store Apple has committed itself to the digital music and distribution market. With mobile phones becoming more and more open to this market they had to do something along this line or remove their music store from contention in the whole arena.

RGrphc2 said:
I'll admit when i first got my VZW phone i used Get it Now and downloaded a 2 or 3 ringtones and pacman.

Granted Verizon is expensive compared to the other services, but i like getting service in my house and not having to stand in the middle of my driveway to get service

That is funny. I had Verizon and and had almost the same problem of service that you described (funny how I live within 5 miles of the local Verizon HEAD OFFICE) and could not get service unless I moved 3 blocks. Cingular was totally opposite and I as of yet have never lost a call with Cingular. That is with driving from where I live to the Canadian border. (I have family that way). I guess it really depends where you are located. Plus 3G service (at least in the vast US) coverage falls to the way side if you leave the highways or major cities. The already long Standing digital TDMA coverage it all over and I never loose signal when my co-workers with their fancy camera phones (even though they use they all have different carriers). So in America, if you have an active outdoor life away from Eastern cities, a TDMA network is the only cell service you are going to get. That is the reality (in the USA). Canada is a different story all together.

That phone is ugly! I would rather have an ipod nano in my pocket and keep my T-Mobile Motorola V600.

They should have used the Razor as the rokr phone. The razor is a very cool phone. It would be even cooler if the phone companies didn't disable the bluetooth in it. I hate the mobile phone companies just as much as I did my local phone company. At least I can drop them, local phone company, without worry thanks to VOIP.

its sounds like american consumers get an extremly raw deal from their operators.

here in the uk / europe - rarely is a feature disabled - nor do we have to pay etc to transfer pics / music etc etc. and we get excellent coverage.

although we do get the likes of orange / vodafone putting on their own tarted up OS's that look bloody awful.

will be interesting to see whether the fone can connect with itunes via bluetooth.

parb.johal@ante said:
its sounds like american consumers get an extremly raw deal from their operators.

here in the uk / europe - rarely is a feature disabled - nor do we have to pay etc to transfer pics / music etc etc. and we get excellent coverage.
I've heard much the same, generally speaking. I have a pretty negative view towards the wireless world. I really wonder why the wireless is better in Europe vs. USA...

j2603 said:
well, we pay less than you guys in Europe do. your phone bill is around € 150....

is that a year or per month? my bill is £15/month (€20ish) with 500 mins/500 texts/20mb GPRS. i'm very happy with o2. just can't wait to finally get rid of my razr v3 in february (i've only had it two months and i'm sick of it))

MDLarson said:
I've heard much the same, generally speaking. I have a pretty negative view towards the wireless world. I really wonder why the wireless is better in Europe vs. USA...

I'm pretty sure Other Countries outside of the United States, not just Europe have one or two providers competing for business. I know that in Korea, that there is only 2 MAJOR cell phone companies there and all the towers are shared by them (my girlfriend's brother lives in Seoul) and one of the Major brands there is Nextel.

While here in America we have Verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular/AT&T, Sprint/Nextel all using different mediums (GSM, Dual/Tri-Band, etc etc etc) and all using different towers.

I know in the Northeast Verizon has the most towers, while in the south it's mostly T-Mobile. I Don't want to get involved in a flamewar about what cell phone company is better, each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

T-Mobile has the best price, Cingular has the coolest phones, but Verizon has the best service in Jersey IMOHO. The main reason why i have Verizon is because 90% of everyone i know who has a cell phone has Verizon, i can count how many people I talk to that have T-Mobile/Cingular/Nextel on one hand really.

This Better?? I have never traveled outside of the USA, well to Canada and that's it really

RGrphc2 -

europe is pretty saturated with operators.

off the top of my head in the UK we have orange / t-mobile / virgin / vodafone / o2 / 3 / and then theres a bunch of land line companies that offer competitive joint land / mobile tariffs as well!!!

throw into that the high street stores that actually sell the fones / tariffs who all seem to have 'exclusive' deals and offers and it gets pretty maddening! right now here in the UK a store called 'carphonewarehouse' as exclusivity over selling the new itunes fone first.

i was out on thursday (08/09) night and the store in my little city already had every inch of shop window sapce taken up with posters for the fone! even though its pretty ugly i have a feeling it's going to fly.

my current tariff is with orange 30 pounds a month (around 45 euros) and a whole bunch of free minutes / texts / downloads. never dropped a call, great sound quality.

since ive had the fone (oct 04) its always had an mp3 player. which also allows for music to be transfered via Bluetooth! which is why i was pretty ambivilant about this motofone - it was nothing new to market. (throw in a megapixel camera, bags of storage space, and i've got a very small 'all round' mobile beast.)

if apple can build a real mobile itms, then we might be getting somewhere...

Back