iTunes compatibility problem with Snow Leopard

Prometheus68

Registered
Ok, so my old 2006 iMac croaked (it was running Lion). I got a used MacBook & installed Snow Leopard on it because I hated Lion from the time I upgraded before. So - it appears that 10.6.3 iTunes is the correct version for OS X 10.6.8. BUT - it's giving me the message that this version of iTunes doesn't work with my OS X. I have updated Snow Leopard as much as the "Software Update" allows. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.....can anyone help? Thanks, Jimmy

iTunes 11.0.1 is the updated (newest) version for Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
Check that you don't have more than one iTunes on your Mac. You can easily discover that by searching in Spotlight for iTunes.app
If you don't add the .app extension, you'll get way too many results. There should be just one iTunes.app on your system - and it should be located in the Applications folder.

Run Software Update, just to make sure that you have all your updates.

If iTunes still doesn't launch, what is the exact error message that you get?

Thanks for trying to help Delta. There is only 1 iTunes & it is indeed in the Applications folder. The error is as follows: "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iTunes works with this version of Mac OS X. Blah blah blah." Do you need the "problem details" section? It's Greek to me...

Try launching iTunes from a different user account.
If you have only one account, then create a new one for this purpose, through your System Preferences/Accounts pref pane.

Log out of your present user, then log in to your newly-created account.
iTunes should launch as a brand new blank library, as there will not be any music in that new account.

Let me know if that does let iTunes launch.

when you installed SL did you do any sort of migration restore from your failed Lion system or backups?

Then, you likely have other weirdness caused by "restoring" from a newer system to an older one.

iTunes should not give you that sort of error, when trying it out as a default app in a new user account.
So, you likely picked up bits and pieces of the Lion version apps, which won't be easy to sort out individually.
I would suggest that you boot to your Snow Leopard installer, and reinstall. That will simply reinstall on top of what you have. You won't lose any of your own files and apps. The OS X apps will return to the the default apps for Snow Leopard.
Run Software Update, which will return you to an up-to-date Snow Leopard at 10.6.8
You'll get to update/restart 3 or 4 times before all updates are back in place.

I don't think I would have tried a reinstall as a first step. :D

Did you do that reinstall _after_ the restore, or before?

I think it's time to show off the error log - the one you get when you try to launch iTunes. Maybe something there will shed some light on where the fault lies...

How much RAM is installed in your MacBook?

I did the reinstall after. RAM = 8.
Here's the gory details....
Process: iTunes [3694]
Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Identifier: com.apple.iTunes
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: iTunes-1101012001000000~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [112]

Date/Time: 2012-12-23 21:13:48.012 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 91955 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 8284
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 22
Anonymous UUID: 655C1012-3081-4DA4-A428-5C43BCDEC3C8

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMedia.framework/Versions/A/CoreMedia
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AVFoundationCF.framework/Versions/A/AVFoundationCF
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b dyld 132.1 (???) <4CDE4F04-0DD6-224E-ACE5-3C06E169A801> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBook6,1, BootROM MB61.00C8.B02, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.26 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.51f54
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x93), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0, 698.64 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 2
USB Device: USB Receiver, 0x046d (Logitech Inc.), 0xc52f, 0x06200000 / 3
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth Module, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8218, 0x06130000 / 4

Thanks again for your help Delta. I started trying your ideas & then something bizarre happened. The display is so dark I can barely read it after booting up this morning. Last night it was fine. Now it looks like someone turned the brightness all the way down. It still works, because I can see the hard drive on my PC laptops & even access it. But the display is shot. And - if it goes to sleep mode - I can't awaken it, even to the very dim display. This is going from bad to worse.

Your display backlight has stopped working.
Try to get it to come back on by doing a couple of resets:
Reset the SMC by shutting your MacBook off - by pressing and holding the power button until it shuts off (about 5 seconds will do it)
Press and hold (on the left side only) Shift-Option-Control, then press and release the power button. Release all the keys then.
Start up your MacBook. Give it a minute or two, just to make sure it is completely booted, even if your screen is still dim.
Now, press and hold Shift-Control-Eject
That key sequence will put your MacBook to sleep.
Wake it up by pressing any keyboard key. I like to use the shift key for this wake-up.
That should get your backlight working again.
If the screen remains dim, you have a hardware problem. If you know what you are doing, you can pull the bottom cover off, and reseat the large video connector. That's on the bottom, near the rear left corner.
Otherwise, it needs to be serviced, or maybe even get a quote for a repair.

Back