iTunes: Convert/Format "Protected" Song Files?

You do however have the right to make archival copies of a CD that you own, including transforming it from one format to another (a tape for your car, an mp3 for work, etc.). Fair use right are curtailed by DRM technologies, there's no two ways about it; the same goes (typically) for the right of first sale...

Anyway, the DRM format in iTunes is called FairPlay (you can guess what I think of the name). Wikipedia has a nice clear and concise write up about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

A-ha! Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you for your intelligent replies. (And this is perfectly legal, yes?)

Depends on where you live, of course, and that country's copyright laws. And also, WireTap does give you the same quality result as burning onto CD and then re-import. And please don't tell me I'm off-topic if I directly answer to a post of yours. Unless you urge yourself to stay on-topic at the very same time. ;)

Amie said:
Yeah ... THAT analogy made a lot of sense. I'll just bet you're captain of the Debate Team. :rolleyes:

Of course it doesn't make sense to you because now we are talking about your stuff and not someone else's.

lbj said:
Of course it doesn't make sense to you because now we are talking about your stuff and not someone else's.
The analogy made sense, but was so far off caliber that the meaning just gets lost.

His analogy took it to the extreme case, which basically invalidates it... just like someone arguing that squashing a bug and taking it's life makes killing any living thing O.K.

fryke said:
Depends on where you live, of course, and that country's copyright laws. And also, WireTap does give you the same quality result as burning onto CD and then re-import. And please don't tell me I'm off-topic if I directly answer to a post of yours. Unless you urge yourself to stay on-topic at the very same time. ;)
I would never tell someone they were off-topic if they weren't. And I could care less if you stay on topic or not. Makes no difference to me. Have fun! ;)

lbj said:
No, that's not why it doesn't make sense.

And, if I have to point out what should be obvious, I will do so: The analogy was completely inaccurate because my point was that these famous singers to which I referred in my original post (you know, the ones whose music you can't share after you've paid for it) are making millions more than you or I will ever see. Now, that person's ill attempt at anaolgy was just that: an ill attempt. Why? Because 1) I'm not rich, and I paid for the songs out of my own damn pocket; I should be able to do what I want with them, and 2) if I *was* rich and someone less fortunate needed an iBook, they wouldn't *have* to steal it; I'd either buy them one or I'd share mine. Oh, gee, look! There's that word again: share. S-H-A-R-E. Too bad those rich artists don't understand the meaning of the term.

And if you *still* can't understand this, then the point is on your dunce cap.

Now, now... Why don't we go to the Café to discuss the matters of too-rich-musicians and too-poor-iBook-stealers and _stay_ on topic here. Seems to me, basically, that the thread is dangerously on the verge of becoming a flamewar over something that is besides the point, and we don't really want to go there...

Apple's track licensing is very clear on what a user can and what a user can't do. There's two things that simply aren't covered, and that's an analogue copy and the burn-to-cd-reimport workaround. Both ways aren't lossless, but hey: They're still ways.

fryke said:
Now, now... Why don't we go to the Café to discuss the matters of too-rich-musicians and too-poor-iBook-stealers and _stay_ on topic here. Seems to me, basically, that the thread is dangerously on the verge of becoming a flamewar over something that is besides the point, and we don't really want to go there...

Apple's track licensing is very clear on what a user can and what a user can't do. There's two things that simply aren't covered, and that's an analogue copy and the burn-to-cd-reimport workaround. Both ways aren't lossless, but hey: They're still ways.
No flames here. I'm as cool as piss in snow. Just making a point. And I'm finished discussing it. 'Nuff said. :cool:

Back