Itunes Copying Itself

GrahamCGJ

Registered
I leave my computer running and when I come back I find that my Itunes music library has attempted to copy itself somewhere on my hardrive, but since I only had 1 gig of space left, and my library is bigger then that, I get the error:

"The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. The disk you are attempting to use is full. Removing files and emptying the Trash will free up additional space."

I never wanted anything to be copied, and I have no idea where it is copying (so that I can delete the iTunes library music copy). I now have 6MB of free space on my computer.

Does anyone know how to delete the extra copy?
Does anyone know why this is happening to my computer?

Thank you so much.

Information not provided:
Mac Model, MacOS X version, 'iTunes' version, size of hard disk drive.

To have only 1 GB of hard disk drive, hdd, storage space remaining will cause numerous problems - operating system, application, and user wise.

The 'iTunes Library file' (in the '~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library' folder) is a single file, and I doubt that the 'iTunes' library of music files is being attempted to be duplicated.

Check 'iTunes' preferences with respect to Podcasts.

For proper MacOS X operation, you should have, at a minimum, 10% of the hdd storage capacity free.

Do as instructed - 'Removing files and emptying the Trash will free up additional space.'.

I realize that having lack of space on my mac is going to crash it (Powerbook G4 40gig HD, 860 Ram) And I had about 1gig of free space...My iTunes (20 gigs of music) decided to copy itself when I only had 1 gig of free space. So I got the above error message once I got to about 3MB of space. I don't know where the music library decided to copy itself so I cannot erase the copy that it created. I don't even know why it started copying itself. All I know is that I should have more free space on my computer, but don't because of this mystery copying.

Any advice / help? Anyone?

Thanks

GJ

Launch the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
Type the following command at the prompt:
sudo find / -name iTunes\ Music

including the backslash (copy and paste it as is might be easier) , then hit the return key.
Type your password.

You should get back one line for each "iTunes Music" folder on your hard drive. Theoretically, one per user account on your hard drive, like so:

Code:
someusernames-computer:~ someusername$ sudo find / -name iTunes\ Music
Password:
/Users/someusername/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
/Users/otherusername/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

I went to terminal and when the prompt came up typed in: "sudo find / -name iTunes\ Music" I hit return and it gives me a new blank line or command prompt and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

I keep it on my harddrive and I only have on user on the computer....more specifically the music is storied music\itunes\itunes music library...nothing fancy abou that. and i've tried searching for specific mp3s on my comp to see if they copied (also i tried to find the most recently adjusted files) and I can't find where this access music has copied itself...

Do you have any backup applications installed (or previously installed)?

Is this computer your very own, and generally only on your own home network?

Got .Mac?

Check your console and system logs for clues as to what was running at the time it backed itself up.

Also, check Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) for all processes (not just user processes) and see if you can spot a process that "syncs" or backs up...

1. Buy an external hard drive (Firewire or USB2).
2. Move your iTunes Library to that drive.
3. Download the donation/freeware utility Yasu (Yet Another Disk Utility) and run all the cleaning/rotating scripts.
4. Clean out unused older applications. I say this because OS X needs about 15% free space on you startup drive for the "swap" file to run properly.

I had a Lacie external that I partitioned into 2 parts where I had everything back ed up on the 140gig partition, but now when I try to plug that in, my computer (nor any other) won't recognize that it's plugged in, although I can access the other partition. I guess I can go get another external...

Also, it's a private computer that I mainly use at school.

I don't have a .mac account.

And I don't have any backup software...

Should I try wiping my old external clean and rebooting it?

Back