iTunes frozen

Mike Adams

Registered
I installed the new iTunes, and have a problem. When it opens it starts 'equalizing the volume' and hangs. The problem is bad enough that I can only get out of it by powering down and restarting. Since no one else has reported this, it seems to be something on my machine that is wrong.

Any ideas how to get this fixed?

Thanks

G5 2.7MHz
OS 10.4.4

1. Repair Permissions: Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility In the left hand panel click on your disk, select First Aid in the tabs and select Repair Permissions. (More than likely the problem)

2. If that doesn't work: Trash the file 'com.apple.iTunes.plist in home -> Library - Preferences

3. If that doesn't work, create a new account and see if it will start up there. If it does, then there is something amiss in your main account. If it doesn't, then a re-install of iTunes might be needed.
vacmac

Thanks Vacmac, trashing the plist did the trick. However, I still cannot turn on the 'Sound check' option without the same thing happening again.

Sound Check is trouble. Lots of problems have been associated with it. Turn it off and use the volume slider.

vacmac

If you have a lot of songs (500 or more), then the "Sound Check" thing will take quite some time the first time you launch iTunes after enabling it. Most likely it's not hung (unless your entire system is frozen) -- it's just taking a very long time (which it should).

Sound Check analyzes each individual music file you have and then adjusts the output volume for each song so that they're all "equalized" to a normalized volume level.

Are you sure it's hanging, and not just taking forever? For 1,500 songs on my system, it took hours for Sound Check to complete.

Back