iTunes/iPhoto: Sharing

bluScreen

Registered
Anything wrong with sharing one iPhoto library and iTunes music folder located in a separate drive, accessed by multiple user profiles on one machine?

So far so good on my test environment. But I just wanted to know if anyone has run into an obstacle.

You could run into permissions issues, but you can just tick "ignore ownership on this volume" in the Get Info command. You should only access the libraries one at a time.

Is there an ideal way to move your iTunes/iPhoto libraries so they can be shared by multiple users on one machine? I haven't had any experience with this and don't want to mess it up. If I need to create a separate volume, please let me know how to do so as well in your reply. Thanks.

Is there an ideal way to move your iTunes/iPhoto libraries so they can be shared by multiple users on one machine? I haven't had any experience with this and don't want to mess it up. If I need to create a separate volume, please let me know how to do so as well in your reply. Thanks.

I am not sure about iPhoto but the itunes sharing (on the same machine) is easy. Just move your iTunes music folder (/Users/YourUserName/Music/) to the /Users/Shared folder. Then put the iTunes Music folder in the /Users/Shared/ folder. After that open iTunes and the go to the iTunes preferences and Advanced, General tab point itunes to the changed location of the iTunes music folder. Easy.

Back