iTunes lacks a key feature.

OrganLeroy

Registered
iTunes lacks the ability to easily print a CD track listing. Doesn't this seem like a function Apple should have addressed?

I make mix CDs all the time, and I want to be able to print out track listings for the CD cases. But since iTunes has no facility for this, I have to copy and paste the track listings into a text editor, and then work from there to get it to look right.

Apple has neglected this function in both the Mac OS X and Windows versions of iTunes. I can't imagine that no one suggested adding this function; is there some ulterior motive for leaving it out?

If you have appleworks, there is an applescript available from apples website to make an appleworks document as a cd cover insert with the tracks of the current playlist.

OrganLeroy said:
I can't imagine that no one suggested adding this function; is there some ulterior motive for leaving it out?

I would speculate that probably not enough people suggested this feature …

Another feature i have always wanted- a keystroke to go to the library.
Drives me crazy not having this.

ora said:
Press Tab until the focus is on your library (the active playlist/store/tuner should be blue), then press up repeatedly.

ora said:

Play with AppleScript and find a way to "tell iTunes to set focus to Library" or something, compile it, and set it as a function key.

Arden said:
Press Tab until the focus is on your library (the active playlist/store/tuner should be blue), then press up repeatedly.

Lol- i have 250 playlists, that can take a while.

Michealsanford: i have no applescript experience, although will have a go.

I spent ages tring to make macros with iKey, (allows mouse control in macros) but didn't work- coukld never deal with the fact that the scrollbar on the left was in a different position every time.

Ho hum, i'll just have to hope that apple sort it out. What is most irritating is that apple-L, which you'd think would eb the best key for this, is already used!

OrganLeroy said:
iTunes lacks the ability to easily print a CD track listing. Doesn't this seem like a function Apple should have addressed?

You're simply thinking Roxio or Winamp. iTunes is not designed to print track listings... it's designed to play music. If you want the ability to design cd labels - Roxio would be the best bet or the freewares mentioned above.

I'd just buy one of those templates, use Illustrator and print them. :)

Well, it'd be a good feature for iTunes 5, though. Would make my "iLife" more complete, since my "digital hub" also has a printer connected. ;-)

drustar said:
You're simply thinking Roxio or Winamp. iTunes is not designed to print track listings... it's designed to play music. If you want the ability to design cd labels - Roxio would be the best bet or the freewares mentioned above.

I'd just buy one of those templates, use Illustrator and print them. :)

iTunes is just designed to play music? Then why does it include the ability to create and burn playlists to CDs?

This should have been a no-brainer for Apple. Anyone who burns a number of mix CDs is going to want track listings with them.

Here is an Applescript. No frills. No guarantees. Open Script editor and paste it into the new "Untitled" window. Save it as a script in your Library/Scripts folder if you have the script menu activated, or save as an application anywhere you'd like.

When it runs, choose an output option and a destination name and select the playlists you wish to list.

Feel free to open the iTunes dictionary and add information from the track properties that you would like to see in the output. Just plunk it into the script the way I have done with name and artist.

Jim

set myListing to ""
set outputDest to button returned of (display dialog "Send output to Clipboard or File" buttons {"Cancel", "Clipboard", "File"} default button "File")
tell application "iTunes"
set playlistList to name of every playlist
set thePlaylist to choose from list playlistList with prompt "Choose a playlist to index:" with multiple selections allowed
repeat with aPlaylist in thePlaylist
set nameList to name of tracks of playlist aPlaylist
set artistList to artist of tracks of playlist aPlaylist
set myListing to myListing & ((aPlaylist as text) & return)
repeat with trackNum from 1 to number of items in nameList
set myListing to myListing & (trackNum & ". " & item trackNum of nameList & ", " & item trackNum of artistList & return) as text
end repeat
set myListing to myListing & return
end repeat
end tell
writeOutput of me for myListing to outputDest

on writeOutput for theTrackInfo to destination
try
if destination is "File" then
set fileName to choose file name with prompt "Name the playlist listing:" default name "My Playlist" default location (path to desktop)
set fileRef to open for access fileName with write permission
write theTrackInfo to fileRef
else if destination is "Clipboard" then
set the clipboard to ""
set the clipboard to (the clipboard as text) & theTrackInfo
end if
on error errMsg number errNum
if destination is "File" then
close access fileRef
end if
if errNum is not -128 then
display dialog errMsg