Itunes Music Store Problem

skulljockey

Registered
I crashed my system a month or two ago and lost some files I had bought off of Itunes Music store. I can't seem to figure out how to re-download them from the Music store and of course I'm not entirely certain if it's possible to. Has anyone seen or heard or had the same problem?

Yep, I like it when that happens... I think Apple should DEFINITELY keep a record of which account has bought what and let people redownload stuff. It's too bad that one can't redownload. :(

I figure it's the same as with CDs -- if you lose or break a CD, you can't expect the store or record company to just say, "Oh, here, take another... you've already paid for it."

If everyone was able to re-download music they've purchased, then Apple would probably charge us more to cover the cost of the increased bandwidth people would be using. It sucks that we can't re-download music, but it's perfectly understandable.

I tried to post a request to move the thread about five minutes after I posted it last night but somebody was working on the forum at the point. Thanks to whoever did it anyway.

Well I assumed there wasn't a way to do it. Thing is, Apple does keep track of what you've downloaded. I've gone through essentially the same steps to get the songs that I'm missing that I did to begin with, and the Music Store prompts me, "You have already purchased this song. Warning: repurchasing may lead to duplicates." ::evil::

Oh well. I'm only missing two songs and *sigh* I guess they weren't that good. Damn that 2 bucks.

skulljockey said:
I crashed my system a month or two ago and lost some files I had bought off of Itunes Music store. I can't seem to figure out how to re-download them from the Music store and of course I'm not entirely certain if it's possible to. Has anyone seen or heard or had the same problem?
If you kept the email from the iTunes store with the receipt number in the title, you can go to Help > iTunes Customer Service on the iTunes menu bar and send them a message explaining the situation along with the receipt number and they can authorize you to redownload the lost songs. As I recall it is an item that will appear on the Advanced menu when the redownload has been authorized. I had to do that once when a downloaded song was somehow corrupted and would reliably crash iTunes when played. Worked like a champ for me.

As a suggestion, I have a rule setup in Mail to trap the iTunes receipts and store them in a special folder just in case I ever need them again. :D

Actually Audible.com has a library where you can redownload audiobooks that you've purchased. Quite helpful. When I upgraded my iPod late last year, I went back and redownloaded many of the books at a higher-quality level.
Backup allows you to backup iTMS purchased stuff to your .Mac account but that eats into space. It's a pain but I have my entire iPod contents duplicated on my external drive (keeps the hard drive from losing too much space) in case my iPod is ever lost or stolen.

Back