iTunes out of date?!

mort101

Registered
I have an issue when I try and open up iTunes.

I get this alert message:

This started when I transfered my music to my external hd and erased the music from my Macbook's hd (to free up space). I have tried copying the folder back but that doesn't work. I have tried updating iTunes, but that doesn't work.

HELP! :(

I have tried updating iTunes, but that doesn't work.

Can you explain exactly what "doesn't work" about updating iTunes? Are you already using the most recent version of iTunes? Do you get an error message when you try and update iTunes? Please elaborate.

Can you explain exactly what "doesn't work" about updating iTunes? Are you already using the most recent version of iTunes? Do you get an error message when you try and update iTunes? Please elaborate.

Double clicking on itunes results in the following error message:

I have then tried doing as it suggests and updating iTunes. Previously this has resulted in updating the program via software update and then, when I click on the newly updated iTunes, the same error message is displayed. Now when I click on "download itunes" it tells me that i am running the latest version.

:(

Do you have any other system drives connected to your computer -- say, like a partition somewhere that contains an older 10.5-based OS X installation?

It's possible that Mac OS X is trying to launch an iTunes.app program that is located somewhere other than your boot drive. Have you tried double-clicking the iTunes.app file located in /Applications to launch iTunes, then manually opening the library file from within iTunes?

You can also see what version of iTunes this .itl file is complaining about -- simply open that file in TextEdit and look near the top. It's a binary file so it may look like it contains jibberish, but at the top of the file, you'll see a version number -- like "10.4.1" which means that iTunes version 10.4.1 created that file.

The latest version of iTunes is 10.6.1 -- check to make sure that the version number in the .itl file is equal to or less than 10.6.1, and also check your installed iTunes version to ensure that it, also, is at least version 10.6.1.

Back