iTunes, quicktime refuse to open

Pete3395

Registered
Quite recently, iTunes and quicktime have stopped launching. I believe it started when I tried to open a specific file (a music video from Yellow Magic Orchestra if you must know). I know it is a working file, because I did get iTunes to run it once. I can't figure out if the problem started when I got iTunes 6, but I am not sure.

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a brutally old G4 quicksilver 867.

I started experiencing this same problem about a week ago and it's driving me mad. I'm on Windows XP, not Mac, but I came here looking for a solution because I've been everywhere else. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and even edited registry keys on iTunes, but I cannot get it to open. I always get the same error reporting dialog box, "iTunes has encountered an error and needs to close", or something like that. I think I may have updated iTunes the week prior to the start of the trouble. But, other than that, I didn't install anything else or do anything differently. All of the sudden, iTunes just quit working. I've been on various iTunes websites and forums looking for an answer, and I've found several people that have experienced this same problem in the last three weeks, but no one seems to be able to solve it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, in advance.

Pete

Try trashing the Preference (plist) files for iTunes and Quicktime;

com.apple.iTunes.plist

com.apple.QuickTime Player.plist
com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist

Located in User>Library>Preferences

I located the preferences file, and deleted it, but iTunes still wouldn't open. Originally, when I uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime, I searched my drive for any file or folder related to iTunes or Quicktime and deleted them, including the preferences file. I also went through the registry and removed all registry keys related to iTunes and Quicktime. I did that out of frustration after uninstalling and reinstalling the programs several times. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried deleting the prefs file again, per your suggestion, but I still get the message "iTunes has encountered an error and needs to close". iTunes still refuses to open.

I am having this exact same problem. After using 'software update' to update to Quicktime 7 and itunes 6 neither app. will open. I'm running 10.3.9 on a G5 Powermac. My Final Cut Pro won't open now either. I've run disk utility and uninstalled and reinstall all three programs to no avail. I also did a Security Update at the same time as the other updates. Anyone found a fix for this problem?

we are all having the same problem, we've tried all the same fixes and nothing is working. I wonder a few things. Do we all have limewire installed? Do we all have older computers? I uninstalled on my powermac g4 but to no avail. However the removing of the pref files did work for itunes twice

I have the same problem threw away the prefs as seen above (before reading it), tried reinstalling both first quicktime, then itunes. After searching for all instances and prefs for both programs and deleting them. Also cleaned out the trash before reinstalling, but to no avail.

I have a dual g4 itunes 6 qt 7 pro.

I fiend alot of similar problems on the internet but no sollution!
Any one able to shed some lite on this matter?

Pete3395 said:
Quite recently, iTunes and quicktime have stopped launching. I believe it started when I tried to open a specific file (a music video from Yellow Magic Orchestra if you must know). I know it is a working file, because I did get iTunes to run it once. I can't figure out if the problem started when I got iTunes 6, but I am not sure.

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a brutally old G4 quicksilver 867.

Go to Accounts in System Preferences and make a new Test user account. Then log into that account and see if QuickTime or iTunes launches. If they do launch, you have a User problem. If the programs do not launch then you have a System problem and an Archive & Install may have to happen.

Also, try removing any third party Quicktime codecs you have installed. One of these might be a problem.

I'm having the same problems. I made a new test user account and the apps didn't open. not ready to commit to archiving a system that doesn't work then re-installing.

has anyone come up with a solution for this? please!?!

thanks!
paul

Is this since the OSX10.4.4 update? No problems on my machine

Or have you used flip4mac, it has been fixed now to version 2.01, version 2.00 was causing quicktime7.04 crashes and I guess could do the same to iTunes.

Just a thought ;)

Back