itunes quits unexpectedly

YanniWAMH

Registered
Im sure some of you may laugh but I am using an iBook G4 that my gf got for me for my birthday. I realize it's an older machine (runs tiger: 10.4.11) but runs great...all except for iTunes. I had version 9.2 that came with the system but every time I open it it crashes after a few moments. Won't even show me the library. I figured an older version might work so i tried 9.11, 8.2 even 7 but they all crash. Something about: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
WTF? Is there maybe a plug-in im missing or something? I've tried everything, and of course Google Play wont work on this version, neither will WinAmp or any other music manager that is currently out. Please help me, this is really a great working machine other than that. Thanks.

-Ben

Try going to /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and find the iTunes preferences (make sure you have iTunes closed at this time) abnd then try iTunes again to see if that helps. Plus while still in the Library folder check to make sure you have no iTunes plugins installed.

Nope, still crashes. I spoke with a guy at a mac repair shop earlier today and he told me it was probably either the OS itself or an unreadable part of the HD that would pretty much render my dinosaur obsolete. But it's 90 bux to have him check it out when all I really need is the 10.4 reboot disc, which I don't have of course. Thanks a lot for the advice though.

For less money you can get Disk Warrior and try repairing the volume yourself. Either way, back up everything, including music files.

--J.D.

Back