iTunes store samples with REALLY bad compression?

MikeXpop

iEye
Hey, have you noticed that some samples on the iTMS lately have *really* bad compression. I've only noticed this on *some* songs, and only since it was released for Windows a couple days ago (could have been earlier, I dunno).

A couple albums I noticed that have this really bad compression.

Hotel California - The Eagles
3eb - Third Eye Blind
Blue - Third Eye Blind
Greatest Hits - The Doors
Disc One: All Their Greatest Hits 1991-2001 - Barenaked Ladies

Anyway, here's the kicker (and proof that I'm not insane). Search for the Hives. There should be 2 copies of Veni Vedi Vicious, one under the genre rock and one under alternative. Listen to the first song under the rock one, and listen to it again under the alternative one.

What's up with this?

No, I'm saying what's up with some songs having worse compression than others? And why did it appear just recently?

That's not iTunes...that's the CD! The actual recording of those CDs was "older" so the quality is a bit "worse".

In reality they're not that bad. They sound really great to me.

btw: I bought those Third Eye Blind CDs when they first came out and I really love listening to them to this day. :)

Originally posted by Trip
That's not iTunes...that's the CD! The actual recording of those CDs was "older" so the quality is a bit "worse".

In reality they're not that bad. They sound really great to me.

btw: I bought those Third Eye Blind CDs when they first came out and I really love listening to them to this day. :)
No, those are definitely compression issues. I talked specifically about the Hives, because it's the same exact CD. The rock one sounds worse than the alternative one.

Besides, there are a LOT older cd's out there that sound fine as iTunes samples (Pink Floyd, The Who, etc).

You might be right. But those aren't the exact same CDs...you'll notice there are some differences in the songs (drum beats, sound loops). But you might be right.

The Third Eye Blind CDs and the Eagles CD sound exactly like the ones I bought out of the store some years ago.

I have no evidence other than my own ears, but the samples (all of them) sound like they are at least slightly lower quality than the final AAC downloads. I noticed that immediately. Plenty good for sample, but not good enough for final purchase quality. Good compromise.

I did just compare the two Hives samples using Alesis Monitor One reference monitors and indeed they are distinctly different in quality. Both are noticeably compressed, but one is much more noticeable.

I just have to presume Apple has some reason for this. Perhaps bigger name artists get better quality samples. Or maybe the majority of artists are getting lower quality compression due to server spave needs or maybe Apple thinks certain genres tend to tolerate compression more. I don't know, just guesses.

apple may be compressing new songs that they are adding to the ITMS at a higher compression.

It would make sense because they'd be saving on bandwidth.

Thanks for proving I'm not insane mindbed :D

Fahrvergnuugen, all of the Third Eye Blind albums were fine before I checked them recently. They most definately changed.

I keep finding more albums that do this and it's making me kind of mad. I can't sample music like that personally. =\

Mike - I've noticed this too. It's DEFINITELY artifacts from low-bitrate compression. I just figured I hadn't noticed it before during the previews.

Eventually I was worried that songs I download might sound the same. I haven't really pursued it, though - I've bought several new albums in the last few days, but no idea if the previews are/were lower quality.

Yes, why do you care how good the samples are? They're just previews to let you hear what the songs sound like.

Back