iTunes subscription service

To me, the article seems to suggest they might offer a Subscription service alongside the current model.

Personally I need to know more about the service before deciding if I thought it was good or bad, some models for a subscription based service would be good for me, others wouldn't.

I guess it all comes down to whether it would save me money, or cost me more, and whether it would limit the number of tracks I could download a month.

lnoelstorr said:
To me, the article seems to suggest they might offer a Subscription service alongside the current model.
That wasn't the way I first read it but, after looking at it again, you might have a point!

Personally I need to know more about the service before deciding if I thought it was good or bad, some models for a subscription based service would be good for me, others wouldn't.
Perhaps I had assumed too much. I had assumed it would be a case of losing your downloads once you stop paying your subscription fee, which is the main thing I dislike!

bbloke said:
Perhaps I had assumed too much. I had assumed it would be a case of losing your downloads once you stop paying your subscription fee, which is the main thing I dislike!

That would be bad. If it was some kind of Pay-per-play service, or similar, that would suck!

If it was something like pay €X a month for N downloads, or €Y a month for M downloads, then that'd be great (as long as the X:N or Y:M ration was good enough).

MacUser (UK) has posted a story about Sony's new music players, which also contains information from an Apple representative relating to subscription services:

MacUser (UK) said:
Munster's viewpoint is broadly shared by Merrill Lynch analyst Steven Milunovich, who thinks that Apple need not worry too much about competition for the iPod shuffle.

Of the new Sony players he said, 'We believe these are likely to be solid sellers, but they don't support iTunes and do not have the cache of an iPod.'

He also believes that Apple can easily respond to any effect that subscription-based music services, such as Napster, may have on iTunes Music Store sales.

'We don't see a big impact on Apple because (1) we are not big believers in the subscription model where consumers pay indefinitely to listen to their favorite songs, and (2) if we're wrong, Apple can establish a subscription service with few barriers to entry,' he said.

He added that record label executives believe subscription will continue to be a niche market with the majority of consumers preferring to purchase their music.

bbloke said:
MacUser (UK) has posted a story about Sony's new music players, which also contains information from an Apple representative relating to subscription services:

He's not an Apple Representative, he's paid to speculate for a living. But interesting nonetheless =)

mkwan said:
looks like this guy has a grudge against DRM and is cracking(?) anything apple puts out in securing iTMS.....to me it sounds like he is asking for trouble.

what do you think?

I feel this guy may have something for Apple. He is the kind of person that will ruin it (buy iTunes music) for the rest of us. I say this because the RIAA had to be convinced the Apple's DRM was safe. Now that on Windows this guy can kill the DRM, the genie is out of the bottle and the RIAA just might pull the plug on on iTunes Music because they will feel that the apple DRM is unsafe.

There are certain people who will hate Apple and nothing will change their mind. We all have met certain people like that. This is a case where some smart punk, who has a grudge against Apple, is trying to hurt Apple. He knows there is a class of people who always wants something for nothing. The guy righting this software seems to be on a mission to wet their appetite.

It wouldn't surprise me that a year or so from know we will find out the kid was secretly paid be an iTunes music competitor.

Actually, his grudge is that he can't pay for the songs and listen to them on linux. But the consequences for Apple are probably the same... i.e. they fix it. And they already did. No further consequences.

subscription based services are a very good idea, in my mind - if i could pay something like £20 a month to justify my itunes library - i would. at the moment though, i don't have the time, money or patience to be buying up all the albums i have. i'd reckon i have about 150 cds that i own, and are in a rack, which is about 10% of my library. sorry :(

as napster quite rightly said in their superbowl ad, at 79p a song, how much is it going to cost to legally fill up your 10,000 song music player (ipod). instead, you pay them some money a month, and they let you listen to how much you want. you stop paying, all the drm stuff refuses to work - quite fair i feel

so you too forget that after you quit your subscriptions, the MP3-player's empty again? i just don't think that's SUCH a good idea. not for how i think about music. for trying OUT stuff, okay. but if i like a song, i want to buy it and listen to it whenever and wherever i am. without the danger of losing it, should the service ever end or change. what if the artist takes the song back? doesnt' want it listed in the subscription service any longer? (can and will happen.)

You can still buy music for 0.99 on Napster which they don't tell you in the advertisement. It's called Napster light. The options for MP3 players are terrible on the PC side no matter how much you argue. Can you say iPod 1G? The specials they offer are for 5GB players at $250.00-349.00 (rebates excluded). Even with the color screen this is hardly a deal. The iPod Mini is lighter and the iPod Photo has up to 60GB of storage.
Plus if you use a iPod or a Mac you're immediately disqualified.

If you choose the monthly bill it is just like AOL or any other provider. You get a month free and than it is time to start paying.
Some things that make Napster quirky: music organization, interface, and directions.

Napster or any service's homepage simply does not compare to Apple's instructions on their page and visual cues.

I think Apple will continue to make iTMS and the iPod work seamlessly together just like our Macs work with Mac OS X. YMMV
Subscription is good if the person plans to pay the bill every month. What happens when Dad pulls the plug? Goodbye music collection. I can't wait to hear stories about kids being grounded for downloading too much music.

Back