iTunes Tracks

nirelandman

Registered

Hi, firstly - apologies for what will probably be an daft questions but thought I'd make sure!

I was thinking of getting iTunes - I do not YET own an iPod -I just use my Sony Ericsson K800i as my music player.

Firstly, anyone know if I can sync this phone with iTunes?

Secondly: When I buy songs, what if my computer crashes and I lose them all - does this mean if I want them all again I must buy them again? Or does iTunes recognise I've bought them, and let me download again?

Lastly, if I download a song and put it onto my phone, can I also put it on an iPod? Or will iTunes only let me put it on one device at once? (if this is the case, I imagine it is to stop people giving a track out to many people on their iPods from the one iTunes account right?)

Thanks very much in advance for helping me out here guys, first post so I'm allowed to ask dumb questions!

Regards,
nirelandman

Hi, firstly - apologies for what will probably be an daft questions but thought I'd make sure!

I was thinking of getting iTunes - I do not YET own an iPod -I just use my Sony Ericsson K800i as my music player.

Firstly, anyone know if I can sync this phone with iTunes?
No, you can only use iPods and iPhones with iTunes.

Secondly: When I buy songs, what if my computer crashes and I lose them all - does this mean if I want them all again I must buy them again? Or does iTunes recognise I've bought them, and let me download again?
You lose them all. When you purchase songs, you should also back them up to your regular backup drive that you keep.

If you use Time Machine, this will be done automatically for you.

Lastly, if I download a song and put it onto my phone, can I also put it on an iPod? Or will iTunes only let me put it on one device at once? (if this is the case, I imagine it is to stop people giving a track out to many people on their iPods from the one iTunes account right?)
I highly doubt that the protected songs from iTunes will work on your phone. You would have to purchase the more expensive, unprotected songs, and even then, I don't think they'd work -- your phone needs to be compatible with the AAC audio format.

iTunes will let you put songs on an unlimited number of iPods -- the catch here is that any iPod can only be synced with one computer, so it's not like people can come over with their iPods, load your music, then take it home and put more music on the iPod from home. Their iPod would have to be wiped out to be used with your computer, then wiped out again once they got back home to their computer.

strictly speaking i found a very easy way to get around the .aac protection.

im a mac user and use bias peak occasionally, i open a file in this, then go save as, save as mp3, and woohooo protection gone.

First of all, iTunes is free so you might just want to try it anyway. It is still a fun program to use.

Second, I believe the songs are only "protected" if you purchase them from iTunes. You are virtually unrestricted if your music is from CDs or other sources.

iTunes has a feature that helps you to back up your songs. But you should be backing up everything anyway.

I feel like a scolded child "you should be backing up everything anyway"! You are right though, but sadly I am still month away from affording my ideal Mac, and until then must put up with my 6 year old PC which came packing an 80GB HDD! This is about 3/4 full, so there's not that much there that I feel like backing up - It just feels like I'd be investing in the old machine!

Thanks for the tip Ian - Bias Peak? That what it's called? And thanks socam for the advice.

Regards,
nirelandman

Back to backups, you don't need an external hard drive to back up data if you can burn CDs.

But buying an external hard drive now will not be a waste of money. You can use it for your Mac later. It will be helpful to transfer files (like music) from the PC to the Mac. Once this is done, reformat the drive and start using Apple's Time Machine to automatically back up your date.

My current ext HD used to be a secondary internal IDE drive in my PC but when I replaced it with a SATA drive I just purchased a case for it and formatted it and was ready to go ... I used Disc Utility and chose the MS-DOS format so I can use it between my PC/Mac.

Back